Need to drain my pool due to excess rain

Yup, waste would skip the filter.

But if your filter is dirty and approaching time to clean (20-25% pressure rise over the clean pressure), you may as well use backwash and rinse a few times to lower the level.

Thanks! I think it does have a waste. I will check when I get home. On a side note, is it uncommon for the pressure to not rise over the course of a month? Would you typically backwash if it has been a month or so but the pressure is still good? I use a robot to vacuum, so I am not vacuuming through the filter which is probably helping.

Some people only have to clean their filters once per year. If the pressure gauge is functional (does it go to zero when the pump is off), then just backwash when the pressure goes up 20-25% over the clean pressure ... no set time limit.

I too use a robot and that gets most of the dirt before going into the filter ... one advantage of using them.

I fill my vacuum hose with water then quickly pull it over the pool edge so get a siphon effect. My hose is sectional so I start off with a couple sections then after the suction is going I add a few more on the ground so I can aim the water where I want it. I have done it through the filter but don't like that much water in the area it is in and it comes out too strong for my liking. Just another option.

Re: Need to drain my pool due to excess rain-Advice Needed!

Thanks Mike, my waste tube goes to the back corner of my back yard and I am hesitant to drain it there b/c the level is pretty high and I really don't want to saturate the area. I think my only other option is to get another 150-200 feet of hose so I can get it to the front of the house. Does anyone know if I can get that amount of hose? Could I buy multiple smaller sections and string them together? Would I need an adapter to link them together? My other question is what effect does the water level being above the skimmer have? Is the water even making its way to the filter at that point? I'm not sure I can get my hands on a hose long enough until Saturday morning.

Water is still being drawn into the skimmer, just not off the surface ... so you are not really skimming the surface. It will not damage anything having the water high, just may not be as clean to look at.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Like jblizzle says, the filter still cleans. If you want it down more though you could do the siphon thing with a garden hose. Get it started with a short one (washing machine hose is easy to get going because it's short) then keep adding to it until you get the water where you want it. The end just needs to be lower than the pool edge. You may get your feet wet and it will take longer but the water won't all disappear if you forget about it for awhile. Garden hoses are easy to borrow if you don't have enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.