Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to drain my pool due to excess rain

1. Back To Top    #1

Need to drain my pool due to excess rain

What is the the best way to drain my pool since the water line is now above the skimmer? I have a DE Filter with a multiport valve. Can I just backwash it until the level drops or it is harmful to backwash excessively?
    ~30,000 Gallon Free Form Pool; IG; Vinyl; DE Filter; Installed 2005

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need to drain my pool due to excess rain

Does it have a waste setting? That would bypass the filter.
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

3. Back To Top    #3

Yup, waste would skip the filter.

But if your filter is dirty and approaching time to clean (20-25% pressure rise over the clean pressure), you may as well use backwash and rinse a few times to lower the level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! I think it does have a waste. I will check when I get home. On a side note, is it uncommon for the pressure to not rise over the course of a month? Would you typically backwash if it has been a month or so but the pressure is still good? I use a robot to vacuum, so I am not vacuuming through the filter which is probably helping.

5. Back To Top    #5

Some people only have to clean their filters once per year. If the pressure gauge is functional (does it go to zero when the pump is off), then just backwash when the pressure goes up 20-25% over the clean pressure ... no set time limit.

I too use a robot and that gets most of the dirt before going into the filter ... one advantage of using them.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Study your plumbing. If you don't have a multiport, you might have what I have: a hose spigot on one of the return lines. I just hook a hose up and turn on the pump, and about 20% of the flow goes out the hose.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I do have a multiport and just recently replaced the guage b/c I realized it wasnt going to 0 (thanks to pointers from people on this board).

8. Back To Top    #8

I fill my vacuum hose with water then quickly pull it over the pool edge so get a siphon effect. My hose is sectional so I start off with a couple sections then after the suction is going I add a few more on the ground so I can aim the water where I want it. I have done it through the filter but don't like that much water in the area it is in and it comes out too strong for my liking. Just another option.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

9. Back To Top    #9

Re: Need to drain my pool due to excess rain-Advice Needed!

Thanks Mike, my waste tube goes to the back corner of my back yard and I am hesitant to drain it there b/c the level is pretty high and I really don't want to saturate the area. I think my only other option is to get another 150-200 feet of hose so I can get it to the front of the house. Does anyone know if I can get that amount of hose? Could I buy multiple smaller sections and string them together? Would I need an adapter to link them together? My other question is what effect does the water level being above the skimmer have? Is the water even making its way to the filter at that point? I'm not sure I can get my hands on a hose long enough until Saturday morning.

10. Back To Top    #10

Water is still being drawn into the skimmer, just not off the surface ... so you are not really skimming the surface. It will not damage anything having the water high, just may not be as clean to look at.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

OK, thanks. Good to know.

12. Back To Top    #12

Like jblizzle says, the filter still cleans. If you want it down more though you could do the siphon thing with a garden hose. Get it started with a short one (washing machine hose is easy to get going because it's short) then keep adding to it until you get the water where you want it. The end just needs to be lower than the pool edge. You may get your feet wet and it will take longer but the water won't all disappear if you forget about it for awhile. Garden hoses are easy to borrow if you don't have enough.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)