Should Gunite forms be removed before decking pour?

Karmann

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2012
DFW Texas (Midlothian)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
My PB said they will make every effort to remove what that can before pouring the decking but should I be concerned if most of it is still in place?

He made the comment that some of it is virtually impossible to remove which makes me believe they may or may not make an effort before pouring the decking.

My concerns are a) termites and b) creating a void later down the road when the material decays away between gunite and deck. On the other hand I understand that decking needs expansion joints from a home foundation so would this actually benefit me in the long run if my patio the decking is tied to moves?

What did your PB do?

DSC05233-vi.jpg

DSC05313-vi.jpg

They should be able to pull most of that. Small pieces left would not hurt. I don't see how that wood could help with expansion given that it is below your coping.

What you do need to make sure of is that they leave an expansion joint between the stone and concrete deck. Then this will be filled with polyurethane caulk or something similar. That way movement of one won't affect the other (hopefully).

thanks, I thought so also...

I know they can pull the skimmer forms off pretty easy but wasn't sure about the rest since some of those wood stakes are pretty deep.

I'm almost tempted to pull what I can off myself, but I’ll be sure to be home when they pour the desk so I can see what is actually removed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.