Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying everything, but algae still remains

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying everything, but algae still remains

I have had algae in the pool for almost a week now. I have tried yellow out after raising the ph, but it is still there. Last night, raised the ph because it lowered again, scrubbed the sides and bottom of the pool. I have put in a gallon of bleach this morning and checked it an hour later and no movement on the FC. I then added shock to the pool and still no movement.

Any suggestions, before my husband drains the entire pool? By the way we have a 21' round pool.

FC-0
    PH-7.5
    TA-120
    TH-200
    CYA-40

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trying everything, but algae still remains

Hi, welcome to TFP! Shock is a process and not a one-time application of product despite what the bags of shock say. You will need to raise your pool to shock level and keep it there as much as possible until you pass the 3 criteria for completing the shock process. Read shocking your pool and defeating algae for more information on the shock process.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You haven't tried the shock process correctly yet.

Assuming the pool is only 3' deep, a gallon of 6% bleach will only raise FC to 8. Shock level for your CYA is 15. If the pool is deeper - holds more water - your FC was even further from shock level.

[center:1q0izjzy][/center:1q0izjzy]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

CYA high still no chlorine

I have a 21' round above ground pool with cartridge filter.

I have been having problems with getting rid of algae in the pool. I have been adding borax to get the ph level and that has worked. I added stabilizer last night in hopes to see a chorine level. I have also added a gallon of bleach to help with the chlorine. As of this morning here are my levels.

FC-0
    PH-7.2
    TA-100
    CYA-120

Should I add a ton more bleach to get a chlorine level or should I drain some of the pool and add fresh water?

Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to tfp, she1021

Please keep all your posts in this thread for now so that we can keep track of everything.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Stabilizer won't add chlorine, and you have too much. Yes, you should drain your pool by 1/2 at least once to get that stabilizer (CYA) number down. Once you've done that, you need to follow the shock PROCESS. pool-school/shocking_your_pool You are not going to hold chlorine with algae in the pool.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by she1021
    I added stabilizer last night in hopes to see a chorine level.
    Why did you add stabilzer?

Please see this pool school article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...mmended_levels

With a cya of 120 ppm, you will need to do a partial drain/refill to lower your cya back down to 30-50 ppm. Unfortunatly that is where you were before you added the stabilzer last night
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

Are you certain about the CYA being 120? How did you test for it?

What test kit are you using?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!