need advice on replacement for SWG - Hayward T-CELL 15

kwuf

Jun 22, 2012
I need to replace my Hayward T-CELL 15 SWG cell. I've read that the electrodes on the aftermarket products are thinner and wear out faster. I've seen Compupool, Titanium Power Cells, and the T-CELL 15 ULTRA (from a recent post). Anyone have a suggestion? I want a unit that is plug and play - I don't want to have to modify my setup at all.

I was just searching for this same thing.

It looks like my Turbo Cell 15 is finally toast.

Has anyone had good luck replacing a T cell 15 with one of the aftermarket cells? I kind of like the clear compupool to see how the plates look but its just not worth it to save $100 if the things wear out faster.

Not sure if it matters but my box is one of the older Aquarites, not sure how old but it says low salt instead of check salt on it. I got it all with the house so no idea how old any of it is.

I agree. I like the idea of transparent plastic around the cell to see the cells. With the Hayward device I need to shut everything down to inspect the cell. But, to you point, it's not worth saving $100 now to get a cell that half the life.

Does anyone have any experience with one of the after market product?

Reactions: waconiglio
I recently bought one of these
http://www.poolguysupply.com/T-CELL-15-ULTRA-(3YR-WARRANTY)-AFTERMARKET-REPLACEMENT
to replace my T-15 cell. I've only been running it for a month so I can't speak to longevity, but it does have the 3 year warranty. It fits perfectly, and works fine.

The one thing I did notice about this filter. My salt was high ~4800ish when i installed it. I'm pretty sure my last cell would quit working, and just say high salt if it was that high. This one continuted to work just fine even though it had high salt in the pool.

I figured for the cost difference I'd take a chance on the after-market. Since i found this site, I'm diligent about keeping my PH in order and monitoring my CH. I'm hoping that will keep the scaling down, and in return will help with the life of the cell.

CLB

I also need to replace my t-15 after exactly 4 yrs use in FL. Did diagnostics with Hayward by phone today. Tested my pool water at 2 different pool stores today (not chains). One told me low salt (2500), other said 3200. Chlorine (i added liquid) and ph the same. Stabilizer readings different too! Will go to 3rd place tomorrow, and have cell tested.
One place today told me when I replace the t-15, the board will go within a few months or quicker, and a new one has only a 90 day warranty. Of course, he wants to sell me the pool pilot for about $1000 instead, with 3 yr warranty.
If this aftermarket cell is good, I would certainly consider it, but only see limited short term reviews.

I've run into the same problem with multiple pool stores giving me different readings on the same sample. I could only find one local pool store that can test the cell, and mine failed. It's giving me a salt reading of 2400 - one pool shop is measuring 3100 and the other 3800. I still have the cell hooked up, but am using dichlor tabs and supplementing with bleach when needed until I decide what to do with the new cell. I think I've gotten as much feedback as I'm going to get on the replacement cells, so i need to make a decision and pull the trigger soon.

I'm looking seriously at this company - T-15 replacement, 3 year warranty, good reviews. Having trouble finding much information about the company, though...
http://www.titaniumcells.com/t-cell-15.html

kwuf,

Wow - good find - reviews sound very convincing. I was considering the poolguysupply aftermarket, but there was no answer by phone Sat or Sun - was planning on trying again today. Now I think these titanium cells sound more promising - always more interested in the long term reviews of course, and customer service.

3rd store told me my cell was okay, but test not 100% sure. When I reattached it, it worked initially and said generating for at least 15 minutes. Unfortunately, couldn't recheck until several hours later, and was failing again. I did check the current limiter (and ordered one) that many have needed to replace on their board, but it appears to be in good condition.

2thman - just talked to the titanium cells folks (they answer as "Pool Express") and asked some questions. The Hayward cell has an estimated life of 10,000 hours, but the titanium cell is supposed to last about 50% longer - so 15,000 hours. They also have a 3 year, non-prorated warranty (he said the other warranties on the market are pro rated). They started manufacturing these cells with the Ti in 2009 and have not had any problems. They are located in TX and folks use their pools year around - I'm in the northern midwest and have only about 5 months of use per year (so I should get about 10 years out of this one then!!!).

I just ordered the Titanium cell and should have it in my hands by weeks end. I'll report back to the forum when I hook it up and let you know how it works.

I need to read up on the panel (mine is the Aqua Logic) to see if I need to do any maintenance there. I noticed your comment about the current limiter - what did you check on the panel?

Good luck!!

I just ordered one too. He told me it is the CompuPool (looks same in pictures) but is made especially for them. When I did check with other pool supply companies online, Poll Express seems to be the only one with the non-prorated warranty, as you indicated. Should have it by Thursday here in FL.

Here is a link on the current limiter: aquarite-not-generating-lights-not-on-t18264.html?hilit=current%20limiter%20hayward

Please keep us posted on the TI3 cell. It looks like its $4 more than the compupool but the same thing.

Now I'm noticing that there is the T cell 15 and the GLX Cell 15. Anyone know the difference?

I really wish I could find a manual for my Aquarite box, it seems to be the legacy model with slightly different silk screen on the face.

I generally never have a problem researching products and whatnot on the intertubes but it seems like whenever pool stuff comes up my google fu is seriously weak. :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Jlentz32 - I was curious about the T-cell vs. GLX-cell. I read some reviews on Amazond, and one of the reviewers said the difference is that the GLX-Cell-15-W has only a 1 year warranty as compared to the T-Cell-15 which has a 3 year warranty. The description on Amazon says the GLX has a 3-year warranty, but the reviewers are saying that the description is not accurate.

I've had the TI3 cell in place for several weeks now and everything seems to be working fine. I had to drain some of the pool water and replace with fresh because the salt reading on the new unit was 4300+ and it was sporadically shutting down due to the high salt level (the old Hayward was measuring 2400 at the end!). I confirmed the salt measurement within reason at two pool stores - since I reduced the salt concentration, everything has been fine.

Although I found this unit at the "titaniumcells.com" site I linked above, it truly is a Compupool generator. Nothing I received with the unit leads me to believe it is any different from a Compupool generator you can order from any number of online sellers.

jtb33 said:
Any updates on how the non-OEM SWG's are doing?
I received mytitanium cell from poolexpress and installed around end of July - worked right away, I had been adding liquid chlorine until then.

Until recently, all was fine. Now not generating - flow is fine, realized it when green algae appeared. Called Friday (yesterday) tech support of pool express (left my number on voicemail, didn't get call back within 30 min so called again). Went thru diagnostic button codes with tech and he told me I wasn't getting enough power to the unit. Said could be K1 relay or check for burn marks on board. Said to go to nocellpower.com and instructions will be there. Had to go to work so did last night.

Seems the site is more for those with no power. With mine, is just not generating (generating light will not go on, whether by % or superchlor). Opened and inspected board and I see NO burn areas. K1 is a rectangular box which looks ok.

Tried calling poolexpress (Aqualine / Jandy is only open only M-F). This time a person told me I would get a call back in a few minutes. Again, 45 min later called back, told me tech support may not be open on Sat - it's an answer service).

So, these are my readings:
91P
Al-5
r 1.40

Is it the 0.6 that is low volts (or amps) that is the problem?
I understand the salt reading is an average so not accurate. I used a salt tester today that reads about 3200 - I was hoping maybe a high salt was stopping it from generating, but that's not too high. I'm wondering if the 3500 it displays could be stopping it from generating, although I don't think that's excessively high either.

either way, was warned the circuit board might go in a short time after cell replacement (any brand), so just reporting back for others and in case any suggestions are available.

Most of the forums discuss the replacement of the current limiter showing a quarter sized piece that I did order from digikey (when I ordered the new cell) but don't see the same piece on my circuit board. Any suggestions? Otherwise waiting for tech call on Monday. My circuit board says Jandy Aquaswitch Assy#7200.

Steven

okay, so here's my 3 month update on the generic cell.

Turns out the cell was fine, did the circuit board surgery, details here: post446419.html#p446419

Seems to be working fine now. So I have no issues with the compupool replacement, other than contacting customer support - they have never returned my calls when leaving a message on their voicemail as they request. I hope I will not have to call again.

Steven

jtb33 said:
Still positive on these Titanium cells?

just installed one this week. I also believe this is just a compuPool cell. WE shall see. Just got my numbers back inline for chlorine production and it appears to be working fine. I realize this doesn't help as far as longevity or the value of the three year warranty, but I just wanted to pile on.

Thanks. I just bought one of the TI3 cells and swapped it for my degrading Hayward T-Cell 15, which was reading about 2200. It should be around 3300 when operating normally. I put in the TI3 and within 24 hours, the reading was back to 3300 and generating chlorine perfectly. Awesome find for saving some $$.

Came across this board looking for prices for a t-15( almost 6 years old, running on a 12K gallon pool) running 6 hours a day on 75% in season, 4 hours on 30% off season, Phoenix area).
i was suspicious last summer and had the cell tested at a local store and it indicates "failure",but i still get chlorine. I ran it overnight about 16 hours on super and got about 3-5 ppm after being off and exposed to a full day of sun.

Everything in the diagnostics seems "ok"?
(after recalibrating)
25.5 -voltage
5.21 -current
100p %
-2700 instant salinity
AL-0 (aqua rite)
r 1.40 (software)
Seems that salt level testing at local stores is questionable, is there a better way to test( strips)?

I think i will likely pick up a TI3

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.