need advice on replacement for SWG - Hayward T-CELL 15

Still going strong on the pool supply guy cell. I've been running it at ~15-20% during the off season. This model is in a clear case and I haven't noticed any scaling on the cell. (although as previously mentinoned I've been keeping up on the PH)

CLB

I have a general question for the forum - How did you know your Hayward T-Cell-15 needed replaced?

Did you all get an error message at some point or did the amount of chlorine in the pool gradually diminish? About how long should someone expect a well maintained cell to last?

I'm checking my pool chemistry but my chlorine level is low relative to what I believe is sufficient run time for the pool size.

Thanks in advance,
Fred

Both times my cell went out it started reading the salt really low. So I'd dump a bunch of salt in, and it would move up some (but not enough) then I'd dump a bunch more salt in and it would move up (but not enough) the I'd finally take my cell down and get it tested. Buy a new cell only to find out now my water was about 4-5K ppm in salt. Then I'd have to drain about 1/2 the water to get the cell to start making chlorine. Yep I did that twice... I'm a slow learner. :)

The guys in the know will tell you that life span depends on how long and at what % you run the cell at, but 4-6 years seems to be the norm with some going a bit longer. 4 years was about what I got out of my previous two, with little to no maintenance (verging on neglect)

CLB

My original T15 cell lasted 7+ years. That's here in Tucson with very high CH levels, keeping pool open year-round and swim season from April to Thanksgiving. This was also before I found TFP and I had a lot of scale and did a terrible job of maintaining proper pH. So when it came time to replace I bought a T15 OEM cell exactly like the old one.

Any of those that have used the aftermarket cells have any feedback? How's the long term use holding up? My T-15 just croaked too.

Chiefwej, they must have made them better 7 years ago because they don't seem to last nowhere near as long nowadays. Mine's barely 4 years old and only used 4 months of the year. Probably weren't making enough money.

My T-15 lasted just over 6 years in Gilbert AZ( just east of Phoenix).
It finally bit the dust last week , i ordered a TI3 Replacement Salt Cell from Pool Express.
Installed and working flawlessly, time will tell.

I've owned a pool for almost 50 years. Switched over to a Hayward System with a T-15 cell in 2002. It lasted about 9 years with tender loving care. Couldn't believe the high cost of a new Hayward cell so stuck out my neck and bought a Chlorinator Pro CP-15 for $299. Supposedl to be a generic version of the Hayward T-15 with the same 3 year pro-rated warranty. Same dimemsions and 2" threads. Swapped them out (plug and play) and it's been runnin for almost 10 months now. Don't see any differences. Never checked the voltage or current on the Hayward because had no need. But since you guys are tech minded, the voltage reads about 26 and the current about 5.7 for the Clorinator Pro. I keep salt level close to 3000ppm and the stabilizer dead on. Only run my pump 4 hours/day, which for a 10,000 hour expected life is almost 7 years. Cleaned the Hayward cell with diluted muriatic acid as directed only once a year rather than the 3 month cycle recommended. I'm lazy. I see now that the CP-15 cell is now for sale on ebay.

For the past 10 months I've been running a Chlorinator Pro CP-15 plug and play replacement for the Hayward T-15. Paid $299 delivered. Seems to be operating ok. No problems. All these chlorinators have titanium plates that are coated in a precious metal combo of Ru & Ir. Chlorinator Pro claims they use a heavier deposit for longer life, but I can't confirm that. So far so good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My Compupool cell has failed after only 2 years...will try out the warrantee. I previously had the factory last 4 years, as did an OEM replacement T15.
The original Compupool cell I received was DOA. Thinking of going back to OEM.

I also replaced my control panel, figuring maybe I had some other issue, but same results. Seems like low salt means dead cell.

I need to replace my Hayward T-CELL 15 SWG cell. I've read that the electrodes on the aftermarket products are thinner and wear out faster. I've seen Compupool, Titanium Power Cells, and the T-CELL 15 ULTRA (from a recent post). Anyone have a suggestion? I want a unit that is plug and play - I don't want to have to modify my setup at all.

My Chlorinator Pro T-15 is coming up on two years in Sept. So far so good. Can't see any differences between the CP T-15 and my Hayward T-15 except the price. At $299 seems to be a bargain.
Very important to keep the pool chemistry optimum, especially the salt at 3200 ppm and the Stabilizer between 20 and 80. Try to minimize the pump hours and duty cycle to maximize life.. The anodes lose material during every "etching" self cleaning reversal cyclel.The units are supposed to last 10,000 hours which you can calculate by the number of hours you run the pump times the duty cycle.

I'm second more CompuPool feeeback.

FWIW, my T15 appears to have died after 9 years. FWIW, I maintain CYA at about 60, and run the SWG 25% for 12hrs in the summer and 4hrs @ 25% in the winter. MTBF calc says 14yrs at on that plan, but add in a super-chlorinate about 10-12x per year and you get ~9yrs. I also shock with bleach and practice BBB, less borax.

EDIT: Just installed a Chlorinator Pro CP-15 Aqua Rite Replacement Salt Water T-Cell-15. ($299). Will report as time passes

Also in the "about the replace my T-Cell-15" Club - any more feedback on the Titanium Ti15 cell? or other alternatives?

I'm second more CompuPool feeeback.

FWIW, my T15 appears to have died after 9 years. FWIW, I maintain CYA at about 60, and run the SWG 25% for 12hrs in the summer and 4hrs @ 25% in the winter. MTBF calc says 14yrs at on that plan, but add in a super-chlorinate about 10-12x per year and you get ~9yrs. I also shock with bleach and practice BBB, less borax.

EDIT: Just installed a Chlorinator Pro CP-15 Aqua Rite Replacement Salt Water T-Cell-15. ($299). Will report as time passes

Any updates on things? My T-CELL-15 just bit the dust. 2nd one in 12 years but this one didn't last near as long as the orginal

Note my post a few above this and the date on it. I submitted the warranty claim and all the VERY tedious paperwork, proof, test results, requirements, alternate test results, urine analysis, blood sample, DNA sample and proof of identity (seems like that's what they required) and got the warranty replacement approved two months after that post. I called every 2 months after that and am STILL waiting for the replacement. They insist that they are still waiting for their supplier to ship them more units and they have none to send me. Almost a year later, here we are. VERY frustrating. Horrible service that is designed to make you throw your arms up and give up going through the warranty process. It did work for about 2 years, but that is about it. I bit the bullet and went back to buying an OEM Hayward unit.

Isn't it true that the titanium plates we are talking about are still plated with ruthenium as the catalyst, and that is what wears off and fails?

That is my understanding from Circupool when before I bought mine two years ago. Works fine, BTW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.