Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black nastiness behind pool light

1. Back To Top    #1

Black nastiness behind pool light

I had a pool party about 10 days ago and the water turned a little green and cloudy. I started shocking and the water turned clear overnight but the pool was consuming massive amounts of chlorine. Pulled out the pool light and there was black nasty stuff back there that I cleaned out. I have been shocking at mustard algae levels for 10 days and the chlorine consumption at night has stopped but the cc level is still 1.0 when I do the OCLT.

I'm leaving town today until Saturday and there is no one to watch the pool for me. I have dumped in enough bleach to bring the chlorine level up to about 50ppm and with the cover on I'm hoping it will hold until Saturday. Do you think I should dump in a little more bleach or do you think that will hold?
    10,000 gal Inground Fiberglass Pool;Aquarite SWG; Hayward H Series Gas Heater;
    Hayward Sand Filter; 1.5 HP Hayward Max-Flo VS Pump; Dolphin Pool Cleaner; TF100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Black nastiness behind pool light

What is the CYA level?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Black nastiness behind pool light

I dumped some water when I started shocking and lowered the CYA to 50. It was at 80.
    10,000 gal Inground Fiberglass Pool;Aquarite SWG; Hayward H Series Gas Heater;
    Hayward Sand Filter; 1.5 HP Hayward Max-Flo VS Pump; Dolphin Pool Cleaner; TF100 Test Kit