New Pool for me...

May 10, 2012
Well I just bought a new house...The pool is clear after a fight with algae...

Here's my numbers for a 30,000 gallon gunite pool . DE filter.
Tested last night
FC 8ppm
CC 1ppm
TC 9ppm

CYA 37ppm

TA(100)
pH 7.8
CH 320

Tested this morning
FC 8ppm
CC 1ppm
TC 9ppm

How long does it take to CC's to lower back to 0, If the algae is gone? or does the CC at 1ppm mean that I still have algae?

But you're getting close if the water is clear! It seems there's an inverse proportion for how long it takes to get the last bit versus the first big step; green-to-blue takes much less time than clear to sparkling.

It might be time to wrestle with the light and clean out anything behind it. And don't skimp on brushing, what's left is obviously a hardy strain of algae! Get a hand brush and get inside the skimmer mouth, too.

Richard320 said:
But you're getting close if the water is clear! It seems there's an inverse proportion for how long it takes to get the last bit versus the first big step; green-to-blue takes much less time than clear to sparkling.

It might be time to wrestle with the light and clean out anything behind it. And don't skimp on brushing, what's left is obviously a hardy strain of algae! Get a hand brush and get inside the skimmer mouth, too.
Some Borates never hurt with the sparkling! :wink:

Vette said:
Richard320 said:

That may be true, but Borates come after everything else is under control.

Richard320 said:
Vette said:
Richard320 said:

That may be true, but Borates come after everything else is under control.
That I'll agree with :goodjob: When all his chemicals are in range and the water is clear (and passes the OCLT), then Borates can be introduced if he chooses.

If you push hard tonight and do as suggested above, you may be able to get ready for the party.

Also, if the FC is below shock, its OK to swim. I might be hard on the suits but it's a party, I would have my kids swim if I were below shock for the party and then push it back up as soon as the kids get out of the pool to go in for cake and ice cream. Hose the kids off when they get out. I would then close the pool to the kiddos and all other swimmers.

I think of Borates as what you do after your other numbers have been in range for a month and your bored doing the other things and want that extra sparkle.

What type DE filter do you have? Does it have a bump handle?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.