Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool for me...

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool for me...

Well I just bought a new house...The pool is clear after a fight with algae...

Here's my numbers for a 30,000 gallon gunite pool . DE filter.
    Tested last night
    FC 8ppm
    CC 1ppm
    TC 9ppm

CYA 37ppm

TA(100)
    pH 7.8
    CH 320

Tested this morning
    FC 8ppm
    CC 1ppm
    TC 9ppm

How long does it take to CC's to lower back to 0, If the algae is gone? or does the CC at 1ppm mean that I still have algae?
    ~25,000 gallon
    In Ground Pool
    Gunite/Plaster/DE Filter
    Using a TF-100XL from http://tftestkits.net
    Dolphin Dynamic bought 4/2013-pretty happy with it

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool for me...

Algae may not be completely gone. Have you backwashed the DE Filter? Some may be lurking there.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3

No I didn't backwash yesterday...planned on it tonight...Do I need to push it back to shock level or can I let it lower? Would love to have the pool ready for this weekend for the kiddo's birthday party...
    ~25,000 gallon
    In Ground Pool
    Gunite/Plaster/DE Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I would keep it at shock level until the CC's are gone. CC's make my kids stinky like chlorine after they swim. Not good at a party, LOL.
    IG Plaster 20,000gal, attached spa w/ spillover, hayward C12002 cart filter, 1 1/2hp pump w/ polaris 360
    6/16/12 - PH 7.6, FC 6, CC 0, CYA 30, TA 80, Calcium 310

5. Back To Top    #5

Backwashed and Pushed it up to shock level

So I must have a bit of algae...

last night

FC 16.5ppm
    CC 1ppm

this morning
    FC 15ppm
    CC 1ppm
    ~25,000 gallon
    In Ground Pool
    Gunite/Plaster/DE Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

But you're getting close if the water is clear! It seems there's an inverse proportion for how long it takes to get the last bit versus the first big step; green-to-blue takes much less time than clear to sparkling.

It might be time to wrestle with the light and clean out anything behind it. And don't skimp on brushing, what's left is obviously a hardy strain of algae! Get a hand brush and get inside the skimmer mouth, too.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    But you're getting close if the water is clear! It seems there's an inverse proportion for how long it takes to get the last bit versus the first big step; green-to-blue takes much less time than clear to sparkling.

It might be time to wrestle with the light and clean out anything behind it. And don't skimp on brushing, what's left is obviously a hardy strain of algae! Get a hand brush and get inside the skimmer mouth, too.
    Some Borates never hurt with the sparkling!
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Vette

That may be true, but Borates come after everything else is under control.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Vette

That may be true, but Borates come after everything else is under control.
    That I'll agree with When all his chemicals are in range and the water is clear (and passes the OCLT), then Borates can be introduced if he chooses.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

10. Back To Top    #10

If you push hard tonight and do as suggested above, you may be able to get ready for the party.

Also, if the FC is below shock, its OK to swim. I might be hard on the suits but it's a party, I would have my kids swim if I were below shock for the party and then push it back up as soon as the kids get out of the pool to go in for cake and ice cream. Hose the kids off when they get out. I would then close the pool to the kiddos and all other swimmers.

I think of Borates as what you do after your other numbers have been in range for a month and your bored doing the other things and want that extra sparkle.

What type DE filter do you have? Does it have a bump handle?
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

I have a Push/Pull DE Filter...I've scrubbed the pool...scrubbed the tile(which had some scum on the side)...pushed back to shock levels...we'll see if we pass the OCLT tonight...
    ~25,000 gallon
    In Ground Pool
    Gunite/Plaster/DE Filter