Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Experiment I never should have done

1. Back To Top    #1

Experiment I never should have done

We have a well. I was curious what would happen if I put a little bit of clorox in with my well water and tested it. I was wondering if any CC would show up.

I mixed water and a little clorox and waiting a few minutes. When I put in the powder, I just got black bits, no pink at all. Then I put in the R-0003 and it turned a very gross brown.

I'm guessing either my well water is in very bad shape or I used way way way too much clorox.

Any opinions?
    19,000 gallons, Well Water
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Experiment I never should have done

Sounds like you may have iron in your well water.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Or maybe FC concentration above 50 ppm? For example if you were mixing in a 5 gallon bucket, if you put more than 1/2 ounce of bleach, you would be above 50 ppm.

The FAS-DPD test is not accurate above 50 ppm...I don't really even know what it does up there.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Awww... that's kinda like hot dogs... you don't wanna know what's in the water you drink. hehe

Isn't iron good for your blood? Enjoy! lol
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, I can live with iron. I was afraid of something really gross.

I'll test again tomorrow mixing tap water in with some pool water. The chlorine probably was really too high.

So, if it is iron, is that a test I can trust the pool store to get right? I usually have the pool store check my water every once in a while because PB insisted on it for warranty. But, I haven't had them do it this summer. They've checked in prior years and copper and iron have always been zero. We've been topping off with well water for the four years we've had the pool, but I can certainly imagine the composition of the water changing as run off from various rivers in the area ebb and flow. Could explain the rust we've been getting in the toilets.

If there is iron in my pool, what do I do about that? Do I need to do anything about it?

Thanks
    1.5 HP Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh yeah, and I like hot dogs too.
    1.5 HP Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

If you ever need to do the shock process and the high chlorine causes the pool to turn brown then you will need to add sequesterant to the water.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

I would think if it was high metals, it might have shown up first in your mixture (not the test mixture). I sometimes test for metals this way.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Rust in your toilets is a sure sign of iron. The bottom line is not to worry about it but to be aware of it if your pool turns brown from shocking. As Zea said.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Deb, do you use a softener system? And if so, does same feed your fill line?
    If you have an aquarium kit, that's better for testing well water. The iron won't hurt you but you want to watch for nitrates. If you're just fooling around, no worries, but if you have concerns about your well, I'd let the water guy test it

If you do have iron and have any iron staining in your toilet, etc., using a hose filter may help reduce the amount that gets into the pool. My sand filter cleaned up most of the oxidized particulate that came from a bout of super shocking and weekly sequestrate seems to keep the rest at bay.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

11. Back To Top    #11

Hi Deb,

Was reading your thread here and thought I'd share a similar curious brown color occurance.
    I use a plastic 2 cup container along with my test samples.
    I pre-rinse my tubes with pool water and if I put too much in a tube for my test samples, all that goes into the measuring cup so there's usually some on the bottom of it when I begin my tests.

I dump my completed tests in there too.

If I only do the FC test and dump that into the container, the water in there turns pink.
    But when I do the CC test as well, and dump that test water into the container, the water turns brown.

(First time it happened, I thought the same...What's in my water?)

If I had more clean sample water to that container, the brown color will lighten up, so the ratio of concentration exists.

I've had my pool water tested for iron and metals, as it's well water also.
    The results from one pool store tested no iron, .5 copper.
    A second test from a different store tested no iron, no copper.

I've decided not to worry about that brown color, as it wasn't really a test for anything.
    Unless of course someone reads this and says I should be after all.
    22 ft octagon, inground, 4 ft ave depth - figured @ 11,400 gallons, well water
    Steel walls with sand bottom and vinyl liner : under full sun
    Harmsco Betterfilter w/14 paper cartridges
    1 hp Hayward motor

Baqua to Chlorine in 2010.

~Wisconsin~