Remodel Pool in Northern Climate using ICF.

May 28, 2012
Hi all,

I'm in the process of remodelling my 18x36 rectangular pool. The pool was constructed of steel walls in the 1960's. After years the elements had finally taken its toll on the shell and I'm currently redoing this beast I'm OCD on this form, reading and reading and reading. I should thank Al Gore personally for the internet and thus making all this possible :roll:

I've decided to stick to a vinyl walled but instead of a steel walled pool I will build one using ICF(Insulated Concrete Forms). I'm familiar forming concrete using wood(when I was in university for a summer job) and with the help of my brother will attempt to form and set these walls. He also has experience forming concrete but both have yet to do a pool wall. I can get a pretty decent deal on the ICF's so I don't imagine it will cost too much more than steel walls...

The walls will be four feet high and be anchored by piles that go well below the frost line(8'ft). I don't think I'd be comfortable doing a complete concrete pool because of the high probability of the pool cracking. So I will be using a vinyl liner that will go inside the pool. In the process I'm also going to prepare the pool for a aquamatic cover. This, and my insulation and my diy solar heating(planned for the future) should extend my swimming season by months!

I have a few questions off the bat:

Skimmer woes:
I'm having trouble sourcing a inground skimmer for my pool. I see the difference between a concrete skimmer and one for a vinyl liner. The concrete ones don't look like the come with a plate that would fasten over the lining. I'm also unsure of how to place my skimmer - should I pour in place the skimmer when I set up my wall or build a buck(if thats the right term) for the skimmer and then place the skimmer inside the wall after the concrete is poured. Does anyone here recommend a specific brand of skimmer? I plan on putting two in for my pool.

Vinyl Track woes:
I want to use a vinyl liner but I am looking at the tracks and they are all 2 inches wide... *Note I plane on building my deck using flag stone* The problem is that my ICF "wall" are 2 inches wide(the insulation is two inches thick). I surely can't fasten the track to insulation, it needs to fasten to the concrete! Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas as to how to solve this problem....

Also, does anyone recommend a decent online pool distributor for Canada?

Thanks all. I'll be sure to post pictures during my next post.

Jer

Good luck. Have you considered in-ground steel wall, vinyl liner pool? I had never heard of them before coming here.

You normally add a concrete or vermiculite floor and some concrete at the base of the walls on the outside and then a concrete deck.

Yup I sure have heard of a steel walled inground pool. It's currently the one I'm removing from my yard...

I'm still going to use a vermiculite floor but instead of steel walls I am going to use ICF!

The liner track on my recently installed steel wall pool is probably 3-4" wide.....so they exist wider than the 2" you mention. I can't provide details on the brand but they are white aluminium designed for paver coping.

Thats great news. I wasn't sure if I was going to continue with ICF because of that but now I'm pretty sure I'll push forward! I've be-friended an upstart pool guy and he's looking into his distributor for options regarding the track. When I find out more details I'll let you guys know....

Cheers,
Jer

Another problem I'm seeming to face is what type of skimmer to use and how to install it!

I'm trying to find a skimmer that is designed for both a vinyl liner(comes with the gasket) and also designed for a concrete wall. Maybe I'm missing something...maybe I could use a vinyl liner one thats designed for a steel wall? I contacted Hayward directly and they don't have any products that meet this requirement. Any other brands or models that you guys would recommend?

I'm also unsure if I should pour concrete around my skimmer, or just cut a hole in the wall and place the skimmer in afterwards. What if something happend to the skimmer and it needed to be replaced? Would I have to demo that part of the wall?

Thanks again...
jer

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.