Starting new pool with BBB method

Jul 15, 2012
Toulon, Illinois
I want to use the BBB method. We are filling the pool on Wednesday and Thursday, what is the first things I should do chemical wise? I'm learning as I go and I guess this is the next step that I dont know much about. I have read pool school over and over and seem to be confusing myself more and more.

Purchase some bleach to get started! If you don't already have one, get a test kit from TFtestkits.net which will help you control your water by knowing the exact measurements of your water chemistry. As soon as you fill test it! The rest I can pretty much leave to pool school. Click the tab in the top right of the forum that says POOL SCHOOL and read it all twice! It will help you tons! If you have any other questions, we are here for you!

much of the stuff you have read will start to make a little more sense when you get hands on.

I agree you should order a kit sooner than later so you never have too fight with your pool.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

I was in the same boat as you just a couple weeks ago! I promise, it makes sense once you start doing it.

1) Order either the TF100 or the K2006
2) Buy some bleach to have on hand -- probably 4-5 of the big Walmart jugs is more than enough to start.

Enjoy the new pool, we've had ours a little over 3 weeks -- LOVE it!

In addition to a test kit and bleach, buy some cyanuric acid (also called stabilizer or conditioner). Walmart often carries it under the label hth. That and bleach will likely be your fist two chemical additions.

SadieBailey said:
Do I want to use the 3 inch pucks in addition to the BBB method?

Ideally not. For one they continually add CYA, so eventually if you are not careful, the CYA will get to be too high requiring at least a partial drain of the pool. They are also very acidic, so they could result in your pH getting too low.

Read pool-school/types_chlorine_pool and the rest of Pool School to get a better feel for the chemicals used.

EDIT: OK, given your location are you going to be draining the pool every year anyway? If so, you may be able to get away with using the pucks, but you have to keep a close eye on things as they affect 3 variable at the same time. That is why it is generally "safer" to use chemicals that only have the desire impact to your pool ... and also usually be cheaper.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.