Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pictures of my algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Pictures of my algae

Can someone help me identify the algae that I vacuumed up today?

Here are my numbers
    FC=2
    CC=1
    TC=1
    pH=7.5
    T/A = 320
    CYA=40

This is my pool

This is my water

This what I need to identify from the vacuum

Closeup

Closeup with skimmer lid as a backdrop to better define what I am looking at here.

Another shot on the skimmer lid

I originally thought that this dirt that blew in from the planters that we have on the deck so I vacuumed the pool and found this in the skimmer. Now I think it is some kind of algae. It has a texture like play dough. The algae is not growing on the skimmer lid, I jut used the lid to provide a white background. It looks like it is on the sides of the pool on the liner where it meets the cove mold at the bottom. I can knock it off with my toe and collect it in the vacuum hose. After a lot of swimming activity it was just on the bottom. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
    Trenton, IL (St. Louis Area)
    TF-100 test kit, 18,000 gallon, 18x33 oval Johnny Weismuller, AG, Jacuzzi Lazer sand filter, AquaTrol SWG, 1.5 HP Pentair pump that runs constantly.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pictures of my algae

Does it smear? Any algae that I've seen will smear and the green color will really stand out on a white background. Could be feces of some sort. Any Raccoons around?
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

It doesn't look like algae to me...yeggim's idea seems possible.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Definitely looks like critter poo! Opposums, raccoons, and rats all LOVE to hang out by the pool here in Florida!!
    32x16 -16,500 gallon plaster pool with connected spa and spillover, Hayward RS 1 HP pump, 2 Hayward Cartridge filters. 10 hours of direct sun a day and a first time pool owner!!

5. Back To Top    #5

Agreed, looks like feces.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

6. Back To Top    #6

ducks?

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't think it is feces but I might feel better if it was. No critters that we have noticed. I have knocked some of this off the sides of the pool at the bottom of the wall when brushing. It seems to like the shady (in the afternoon) side near the ladder. I might pull the ladder and check the skids on the bottom. I would bet that the pool chlorine doesn't get into the submerged parts of the ladder legs and steps as readily as the open water of the pool. It is easy to vacuum once you knock it loose though. Thanks.
    Trenton, IL (St. Louis Area)
    TF-100 test kit, 18,000 gallon, 18x33 oval Johnny Weismuller, AG, Jacuzzi Lazer sand filter, AquaTrol SWG, 1.5 HP Pentair pump that runs constantly.

8. Back To Top    #8

It looks like poo to me also did you try to smear one? if not smear one on a piece of white paper and post a pic
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I have something similar on my sliding glass door. I believe it's from frogs or bugs. I have a lot of frogs that like to hang out on my door (I think they're tree frogs). It could be their poop.

2 years ago, I had them in my house. So that's why I also think it could be from bugs.
    Matt Giovanisci

10. Back To Top    #10

Looks like Mulberry bird poo
    16X24 Oval Doughboy
    10,000 Gallons~
    Pentair Dynamo .75/1.0 HP pump
    16" Pooline D-400 Sand Filter w/ 6-way valve