Testing Question Br VS Cl

Apr 22, 2012
I have a Taylor 2106 Bromine kit. I have been under the impression that if I run the Bromine test as usual, I can take the final results and dived them by 2.2 to get an accurate CL reading. Can anyone confirm this? I want to be sure I am on track with this. Example would be if I used my kit to test as if Bromine, and got 10 PPM, this would be 4.5 ppm CL. Is this right?

Also, if CL is at 15 ppm after a shock, can I use the tub or is this too much to soak in? THX

Yes, you divide your result by 2.25 (though most people just divide by 2 since that's generally close enough). I don't think you'll enjoy soaking with that high a chlorine level and assuming your CYA level is around 30 ppm or so, 15 ppm FC is too high for soaking. If the spa is maintained consistently with sufficient oxidizer after a soak, then there should be no need to shock the spa and you can start your next soak with a low chlorine level (1-2 ppm) so that you won't notice the chlorine during your soak. Why did you think you needed to shock the spa?

Chem Geek, I shocked it because I thought I may have had White Mold prior to realizing my PH was way high and causing Calcium Scale. My Technichlor was doing a great job of maintaining a 2-4 ppm, I hope to get it back to that operation now that I have the other issues figured out. How can I get the CL to drop faster? It has only dropped from 19 to 15 in 24 hrs.

You can use a reducing agent. For a spa, the easiest one to use is 3% hydrogen peroxide you can get at a drug store. Roughly the same volume of 3% hydrogen peroxide neutralizes the equivalent volume of 6% bleach. So 10 ppm FC in 350 gallons that would take 7.3 fluid ounces of 6% bleach would take 7.3 fluid ounces of 3% hydrogen peroxide to neutralize it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.