Comment from someone who "runs a pool store" - thoughts?

As far as price goes.

I add between 32 and 64 oz of 6% bleach per day, depending on bather load and sun/heat. Most of the time it is 32oz

I buy bleach in 182 oz jugs from big orange for about $2.50 a jug - somtimes less if I snag a sale (and the shelf is not wiped out - must be a lot of deluded BBB people around here)

That works out to about 35 to 75 cents per day on average to maintain my pool.

Since I have opened my pool, I have not added anything aside from bleach and some borax (about 2 lbs total for pH control) - my water is clear, fresh, and non-irritating. Pool maintainence from a chemical standpoint takes me 5 minutes a day, most of which is walking from the house to the pool and back. 35 minutes and under $5.00 a week to maintain my pool. I hardly call that expensive and time consuming.

-dave

When people look at my shelf and comment on the laundry products, I just tell em, " yeah we come out here and do the laundry in the pool! Saves all sorts of money. and nothing beats pounding your jeans on the travertine to get them clean!"

I try to do it with a straight face.

I am posting this because it's more humorous than anything :lol:

I've been to [TFP.com]. I found it to be a base of people who LOVE sticking it to their local dealer. I see these people all the time. They move into a house with a pool and think it's all babies and butterflys. Then they go to the dealer when they have a problem and 'oh no I have to spend money!?' They buy a bunch of stuff and don't listen to directions and then it's the dealers fault. Then they go to the internet and find that their kids can swim in baking soda and bleach. Yeah the chemicals are similar, but I wouldn't want the neighborhood kids coming over and their parents find out you treat the pool with Clorox and Arm and Hammer. People don't even ask for the industrial bags of bi-carb. We have it, you just have to ask. And yes, spending money on liquid chlorine is still stupid. You want to save money but in reality your chlorine per dollar is much higher with tabs/granular chlorine.

No your [TF-100] test kit cannot come REMOTELY close to my test station which probably has a total cost of $2,000+

Not to mention I am extremely pro local business. I like spending money at local businesses (like pool dealers) as it promotes a healthy local economy meaning average Joe's have access to more jobs and a higher quality of life.

Anything that could cause a pool store to lose potential customers is considered a threat. What do you do to a threat? Attack it! :hammer: That is all they are doing to this site. I have never had a better swimming season with my pool until now. THANKS BBB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers: :party: :party: :party:

I think he is mostly disgruntled that some folks have figured things out (and that I was mentioning them) and they are able to care for their pools independently, which as a pool store employee I could see this being troubling. Although I am sure pool stores will always have plenty of customers.

Is there anything in any of the laws or codes that says you have to specifically use chemicals made for pools? Or are there just parameters you need to maintain and the codes don't care how you maintain it?

I also agree with buying locally, however, I'm not going to pay 30% + for the same items I can buy online and spend less even with shipping!

Hmm very interesting...LOL. This is sooo common across the board in too many facets of the world. When dealing with distributors, salesman, and the likes I constantly hear why I shouldn't buy the competition (typical bashing of competition). Instead if you want me to buy your stuff tell me why I should buy the things you sell and back it up with data. Don't just tell me "They (the competitor) are wrong or don't know what they are doing" Sell me your product! Here is what I offer this is what is going to cost and here is the complete data to the past performance of said product. It is very unprofessional to bash the competition! :hammer: Too often people are quick to jump to this method and INMO this is just a clear indicator (for me anyways) that I'm not buying from this person and taking my business elsewhere. If you cant correctly sell your product to me I don't want it from you and will buy it somewhere else. I agree with all post prior this is a poor business model and I dont know who this guy is but I wouldnt set foot in his store with my sisters feet and any one of your wallets to purchase a darn thing from him...Just saying!

Sorry for the rant had to get that off my chest. This sort grinds at me deep.

On that note I'm going to dream of getting in my giant 27'ft washing machine when I get home from work and invite the whole D**N neighborhood to swim in my Bleach, Baking Soda, Borax, infested sparkling clear pool

No such laws/codes exist, especially seeing as how many of the products pool stores sell are chemically identical to products one can buy at the grocery store. I certainly don't feel foolish using bleach over puck/tabs, that's for sure.

Tell that pool store manager to take a bottle of Clorox (you know the stuff with no chlorine), pour half the bottle over his head, then huff the fumes left by the other half. Let us know how that goes. Can't be bad, it has no chlorine, right?

Re: Comment from someone who "runs a pool store" - thoughts?

Pool store can say what they want but this much I know.
This is the 1st year with bbb and my pool has never looked better. Crystal clear ever since the 1st shock when I opened the pool and have not had to shock it since.
Waters crystal clear and we just had my sons birthday party last weekend with 15+ people in the pool at any given time during the entire day, not to mention a poopy diaper on a little one but the parent caught it quick, have to admit that one had me worried :) but the pool didn't even cloud up, crystal clear since I switched to bbb and I am not looking back.
My pools have never looked this good, even on our old pool I struggled with a cloudy/algae filled pool toward the end of the season due to cya being high from the pucks, I couldn't get the chlorine levels high enuf and had nothing but issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In looking at this question, I went to Clorox's web site and found a blog "Dr. Laundry". The complete posting is here

Dr Laundry Blog said:
...Below is information about this from the product’s EPA Master Label ...

This product – a 6.0% sodium hypochlorite solution containing approximately 5.7% available chlorine by weight – is a convenient, economical source of chlorine for water treatment in swimming and wading pools. Also, because this product is a liquid with no insoluble particles, it is especially suitable for this use.

I went looking for the EPA master label but could not find it.

My point is Clorox has listed pool disinfection as one of the permitted uses of Clorox bleach and they provide guidelines when using the product with a stabilizer... like CYA.

Dr Laundry Blog said:
Stabilized pools should maintain a residual of 1.0 to 1.5 ppm available chlorine. Test the pH, available chlorine residual and alkalinity of the water frequently with appropriate test kits. Frequency of water treatment will depend upon temperature and number of swimmers.

lol at talking about his test station. Why do I get the same results at home that the pool store does? If anything, mine are even BETTER since the water doesn't sit in a bottle for an hour.

Lets see... I used to use pucks & tablets, and the pool always ended up green and cloudy, and we had stinging eyes. This year I filled it on June 1st. The only things I've put in were dichlor at first to get some CYA in there, some baking soda at first, and liquid chlorine. My CYA stays between 30 & 40, I use less than a quart of 12.5% liquid per day, and I've not had any issues with cloudiness or algae. It's been a month and a half and I haven't needed to shock it yet. Staying on top of the chlorine has been fairly easy to do and so far has paid off. Even having rainstorms top off the water hasn't had very much effect on the water, just the CYA varying a bit. I do a quick OTO test once a day to see how much chlorine to add, I run a full test once a week.

Is there anyway I can get a link to the full thread? I just found out I've gotta wipe out my full computer due to a virus, and I'm in the mood for a good laugh to pick me up. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.