I mentioned the BBB method on another site (a DIY site) and someone replied with this and I am curious about a few of the things he says. I am not trying to be a "drama queen", but genuinely want to get thoughts about some of his statements, namely about 1) chlorine tabs being 99% chlorine (if true, what about the other 1%), CYA not being an issue if you don't use shock with CYA and liquid chlorine rapidly raising your TDS levels because of all the salt.
His full comment is below:
That's a really stupid way to treat a pool. Bleach has close to no chlorine. You're not saving a DIME there. Liquid shock is 10% chlorine and gasses of reducing it's potency. Chlorine tabs are 99% chlorine. CYA isn't really an issue if you don't use a shock with CYA like cal-hypo. Liquid chlorine also rapidly raises your TDS levels because of all the salt and you could have to drain the pool anyways just to lower that.
Source: I run a pool store. You can do this method, but if you have problems don't go to your pool dealer asking for help. I may sound harsh but it is REALLY annoying when a DIY customer comes in and asks for help and doesn't buy your products. Dealers charge an increased amount for their knowledge and it's for people who pay. We are there to save you time, not money.
Not to mention how silly it looks when your pool chemical shelf is all stuff you do the laundry with.