FIXED! No power to pump

Jul 17, 2012
Apologize if this is in the wrong section...

Suddenly I am not receiving any power to my pump and I was hoping to get some ideas from the forum. I could not find anything after searching for a few nights.

I have an aqua logic control board. A few months ago I received the No Cell Power message and through this board, found the solder fix. It worked. Not too long after that I had to replace the pump.

Yesterday, the pump stopped working again. I checked the circuit breakers and nothing was tripped. I cycled anyway and nothing. I am not getting the No Cell Power message. If I unplug the cell cord, the yellow light on the control board interface does come on and it goes off when I plug the cell plug back in. The pool lights still work.

I had the installer of the pump come back out and there is no power to the pump itself. This is not a case where it is getting power and not starting. It literally is not receiving power.

Could this be the same solder/relay problem as before even though I am not getting the No Cell Power message?

Any ideas or similar experiences before I drop the cash for a new circuit board?

Thanks in advance!

Re: No power to pump

EmeraldCoastBuzz said:
Could this be the same solder/relay problem as before even though I am not getting the No Cell Power message?
Yes. The power supply in the AquaLogic powers both the SWG and the relays for the pump and everything else. Also, the K-1 relay, near the solder joint, has also been known to fail as well as the transformer.

Appreciate the reply and apologize for the delay in responding.

I checked the circuit board and one of the shift registers was burned out. I replaced it today and I am now getting power out of the relay. However, the darn pump still won't come on. I bypassed the circuit board and the pump worked fine.

Could I be getting the wrong voltage out? Any other ideas? Not sure how I can get power out but not operate the pump.

Can you be more specific? Are the relays switching on and is there power going to the pump?

Here is what I verified this morning. Power coming from the breaker to the relay is 240v across red and black load in. When I hit the filter button on the remote, the relay does trigger on off and regulates any power coming out. That being said, when it is on, the power coming out of each individual load out is 120v. But when I measure across the red and black it reads 0.

That sounds really odd but let me play back what I think you said.

You measured 240v on the input to the relay across the two relay terminals.

With the relay energized, the two output terminals of the relay reads 0v across the terminals.

But from neutral to each hot wire on the output of the relay, it is 120v.

That doesn't seem possible. If it reads 240v on the input of the relay and it reads 120v from each output terminal to neutral, it has to read 240v across the output terminals.

Is it possible that you mixing up the terminals? Going from left to right it should be source - load - source - load.

If you have an ohm meter, remove all the lines for the relay and check continuity across the relay terminals.

Yes, Sir. You have it right. I took some pictures but doesn't look like I can upload them.

From left to right on the relay, posts 1 and 3 (load in) measure 240. Posts 2 and 4 measure 0. Yet post 2 and neutral shows 120 as does post 4 and neutral.

Just to clarify, you want me to disconnect the small red and black wires from that go from the circuit board to the relay but leave the power in/out connected and then measure the continuity?

When I disconnect the connector from the two top posts of the relay to the control board, I measure 348 across the two top posts.

When I connect it and the filter button is on, I measure nothing.

When I connect it and the filter button is off, I measure 348.

I wanted to see if the high power terminals are making a proper connection (1 to 2 and 3 to 4). So remove the breaker and pump wires and measure the resistance between each of the terminals with the relay engaged and not engaged. I suspect something wrong is going on internal to the relay. Another option is to configure another relay for the pump and see if that works.

I think you'll find that the relay itself is the problem (one side is not connecting when it is engaged, and you're reading the good side voltage through the pump motor).

Assuming there's another device with a 220 V relay (that works), swap the two relays and test, the pump should now work and the other device not work (If I'm right).

For the life of me though, I can't imagine how you got 348 volts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

When power is disconnected to relay and control is on, the reading between load in post 1 and load out post 2 is a null value on my multimeter. Reading between load in post 3 and load out post 4 is 0.4. Ohmmeter is set to 200.

When filter switch is off both sets are a null.

I then disconnected the cleaner input and output and hooked the pump up to that relay. It worked.
Both pair of values show 0.4 and pump is now on.

Sounds like I need to replace the relay. Thanks to both of you for your patience and assistance!!

Looks like the first in/out pair of the relay was bad. The second pair worked.

I swapped the pump relay with the relay for the lights (same relay type) since the lights only need one pair. Everything working again!

Note I originally replaced the 5841YN chip on the board as a big chunk was out of the top. I am guessing lightning got me and caused both problems.

Again, many thanks! I was at a loss and almost dropped $450 on a new board, only to find out it wasn't the board.

Cheers...
Brian

Hi EmeraldCoast Buzz,

Can you tell me where you purchased the 5841YN chip? I need a 541YN0617 chip for my AqualRite Salt Generator oin our pool. The sensor does not appear to be working.

Thanks

wbarrick

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.