Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please advice on replacing SP1615Z1BE single speed motor

1. Back To Top    #1

Please advice on replacing SP1615Z1BE single speed motor

[attachment=0:3qslmyj3]motor.JPG[/attachment:3qslmyj3]
    I would like to replace it with dual speed motor which is more efficient to save some $$ on electric bill. Is there any option that will allow me to keep the impeller and piping as is?
    Current SP1615Z1BE consumes about 2.1kw/h.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please advice on replacing SP1615Z1BE single speed motor

Plumbing, pool size, and equipment info are needed.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

This may work for you.
    https://www.americanbestpoolsupply.com/ ... 129181.htm

Looking up the model from the picture I got this info:
    K48M2N110 AO SMITH AO SMITH ST1152

Are you running the motor 115V or 230V. The replacement I listed is 230V only.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

How can I tell the voltage?

5. Back To Top    #5

The circuit breaker panel. If it single it's 115V if it's double its 230V. Also you can look under the cover as shown in the image you have you can look at the setting.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you, guys! Sorry for all these naive questions - I have never had a pool before.
    The pool by estimated calculation is not more than 10K gallons. Piping is 2". Also has a spa and solar.

here is a reply from hayward tech:
    The equivilent motor for your SuperII pump is
    only available in a Maxrated motor but must be upsized from a 1 1/2hp
    to a 2 Hp max rated pump SPX1620Z2M so as to use your impeller that
    you have.

Will it help me to save $$ on electricity if I install 2 speed motor(SPX1620Z2M) and run it twice as long on 1/2 speed?
    Or I need to have something like hayward ecoStar ?

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, it will save money. At low speed you get half the flow for 1/4 the cost ... so even doubling the run time you save about 50%

I am not sure that is the right motor though. Your pump is a 1.5HP with 1.33 scale factor which is a 2.0 SFHP. I do not know why they recommended a 2.5HP motor ... that is oversized, while it will work, it will cost more to run that a 2 HP 2-speed motor. Maybe they problem is they were only looking at their motors and not other manufacturers that would be fine.

Look for STS1152R ... that is a 2-speed 1.5 HP SF 1.3 that should be fine with your current impeller (assuming the motor you have is the original and not undersized for the impeller)

EDIT: Confirm you currently have 230V though as the motor I listed is 230V only.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

[attachment=0:ud7tb9ed]pool_motor_wiring1.jpg[/attachment:ud7tb9ed]
    It is 230V

9. Back To Top    #9

Do I need anything else besides this? https://www.americanbestpoolsupply.com/ ... 129181.htm
    Will it fit my current mountings? The frame on my motor is 56J.

10. Back To Top    #10

Whatever motor you choose, you will want to get a new ceramic seal at least. Some kits come with additional seals as well like for the pump lid and in the pump.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

I'd also get a new seal kit for the pump. The pump impeller will also have a part number molded into it. It's a good time to check what size impeller you have. 3/4, 1, 1.5, 2.0. It will take little research.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thank you gentlemen!
    I installed 2EZ dual speed. It has been running for about 10 hours.
    The thing is that on the low speed my side suction cleaner does not move. There is a manual valve that alternates flow between vac/skimmer, should I keep it in the middle even vacuum does not move?
    Will it be better if I install auto valve control that would direct 100% to vac and then to skimmer?

13. Back To Top    #13

I also have another question: Is it normal that water flows into the heater which is off?

14. Back To Top    #14

Only if there is an air leak somewhere.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

15. Back To Top    #15

[attachment=0tje4a3y]heater_piping.JPG[/attachmenttje4a3y]Sorry, I was not so clear about heater.
    I mean the water flows through the heater all the time.
    Is it normal? How can I make it not go through it?

16. Back To Top    #16

It's normal for water to flow thru the heater all the time. It's hard to tell from the pic but it doesn't look like you have a bypass. Don't worry about it though.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

The problem is that when it runs on low something in the heater(which is not heating) makes a high pitch sound. should I take it apart and see what is going on?

18. Back To Top    #18

You could install a bypass around the heater if you wanted to. I'm not sure what could be causing the sound or if it's normal or not.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

actually it sounds like bad bearings but only inside the heater header.