Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Praher 3-port valve acting strangely

1. Back To Top    #1

Praher 3-port valve acting strangely

I have a Praher OV3-2010 between my filter and my pool/waterfall, with an Intermatic actuator. The pressure shown on my filter gauge has seemed a bit high recently, even after cleaning out the filter (Pentair System3.) While fiddling around with the equipment, I noticed that when manually operating the valve it no longer "stops" at the two extremes - it can go completely around in a circle - which I'm fairly certain it didn't used to do. The pressure seems a little bit when pool returns only are selected, but very high when the waterfall is on. (I know it will be higher, but it jumps from 14-15 to 32-33, which I could swear is not how it started out.) But if I back it off just a little bit, the pressure drops back down even though the flow does appear to change.

So, is it normal for the valve to be able to rotate in a circle, or is it likely there is something wrong with the internals of it? And if so, can it be repaired without being replaced? It's NOT a union version, so replacing it entails cutting pipe, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Praher 3-port valve acting strangely

The valve will turn all the way around but the actuator should have microswitches that stop it where you want it to stop. One of those may have gotten bent. You should be able to fix it easily.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The handle has a stop on it that broke off. Not a biggie but be careful not to stop the flow of water through it.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah - the actuator is adjusted to stop at the correct positions..it was off when I first put it on - it was supposed to be adjusted correctly from the factory for a standard "T" setup, but the stops were a bit beyond, so I guess that's when they got broken off. I fixed right after, when using the actuator it's fine. So I shouldn't worry about it beyond that?

Thanks!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by skunkiechris
    Yeah - the actuator is adjusted to stop at the correct positions..it was off when I first put it on - it was supposed to be adjusted correctly from the factory for a standard "T" setup, but the stops were a bit beyond, so I guess that's when they got broken off. I fixed right after, when using the actuator it's fine. So I shouldn't worry about it beyond that?

Thanks!
    With the actuator properly adjusted, there shouldn't be a problem, unless it gets out of adjustment and deadheads the pump.

And, if it's bugging you, you can easily get a replacement diverter assembly.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot
    With the actuator properly adjusted, there shouldn't be a problem, unless it gets out of adjustment and deadheads the pump.

And, if it's bugging you, you can easily get a replacement diverter assembly.
    It's bugging me a little lol. I searched around a bit but couldn't find replacement parts for the Praher valve. Am I just missing them, or are the internals between diverter valves universal?

Thanks!