Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Pole Replacement Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Pole Replacement Questions

Hello. Well, my 12 year old son (behaving like a 12 year old boy), basically broke our telescoping brush handle. He bent it and since it is aluminum, when he attempted to bend it back it broke. It is now functionally about 2/3 as long as it was.

I can only state I was relieved when I heard he wasn't using it to try to pole vault from one side of the pool to another.

Soooooo, while I think up several difficult and dirty jobs for him to do to pay for said pole , I was wondering if anybody has an opinion as to best manufacturerer/model of this item.

I am a tool guy at heart and hate cheap tools so if you have an opinion, let me hear it.

Thanks!
    30,000 gallons, Hayward S244T Sand Filter; 160 lpm, WhisperFlo; 1HP, IG, vinyl

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Pole Replacement Questions

I bought an EliptiLock unit last year and an quite impressed.

Just like you I'd rather pay extra for something that works the way it should and it was well worth the office

22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell

3. Back To Top    #3

Don't buy the aluminum pole at Lowes. I've got one just like yours, and one with a bow in it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

my pole is shot too, so I looked up the EliptiLock unit. 82.50. wow. will have to think on that.
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a Skimlite Eliptilock which came with my pool when it was installed in 1985. The handle and a plastic collar on it were getting a little dingy, so I bought a shiny new outside lock pole a couple of years ago. I got a few months out of it before the very light aluminum bent in two and broke off, so I went back to the Eliptilock, which I am still using. 27 years plus for $82 or a few months for $25. You do the math!
    18X36' 25000 gal Jacuzzi vinyl Inground Pool (1985) with resin sidewalls, newer Jacuzzi 1 hp two-speed pump and sand filter. Raypak propane heater, Rainbow 320 chlorinator (mostly use bleach).
    Softtub 220 portable hot tub.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah, this pole came with the pool/house and it has worked well so far but not having purchased it myself, I have no point of reference.

Perfect. The Skimlite it is. I checked out their site and it looks cool. Would have never found it without this site! Thanks, guys!
    30,000 gallons, Hayward S244T Sand Filter; 160 lpm, WhisperFlo; 1HP, IG, vinyl

7. Back To Top    #7

Friend of mine just bought an Eliptilock on my recommendation as well.

He said the exact same thing as derekm: reliable tool that works everyday for who-knows-how-long for 80 bux, or the cheapo things the pool stores sell so you buy a new one every year for 25.00.

After pushing down on one of our cheapie poles and having it collapse to the point I almost fell in, I didnt really care how much a good one cost!

8. Back To Top    #8

38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by CraigMW
    Nice find! When I was looking I couldnt find anywhere on the net that would actually ship it (Im guessing Amazon will). They wouldnt ship because they were worried it would get bent/dented before arrival.

BTW, the heavier duty version is here on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Skimlite-3008-Pro ... 219&sr=1-2

62.00 but its the thicker wall tubing model. This is the actual model that I have and paid 72.00 for.

If you dont want to/cant buy on Amazon, I had luck asking a few local pool builders if they could get me one and one of them was able to. Didnt pay shipping, just had to wait for it to arrive from their distributor.

10. Back To Top    #10

Made in USA too! I can add this to my list in the "Coffee Bar" blog.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

11. Back To Top    #11

I can't tell if it's metal.. If it is, will it be ok to use in a Saltwater pool?

Thanks!
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html

12. Back To Top    #12

The description is a little confusing, "The only pole made without parts"????

What's the eptilock and how does it work vs. a twist lock pole? My pole is one month old (Lowes) and already has a weird bulge near one of the holes for the quick connection snap in/out things.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump