Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low Flow warning on Intex 2650 gph Saltwater System

1. Back To Top    #1

Low Flow warning on Intex 2650 gph Saltwater System

I'm a new pool owner (Intex 24' x 52'') and the family loves it. My only problem is my filter keeps flashing a code 90 (low flow) which prevents the system from running the electrode to generate chlorine automatically. I've got the taylor system for measuring various levels and keep putting chlorine in (daily!). I've backwashed thoroughly (I'm running about 8 PSI right now which is well in the green area for pressure). The manual says to clean off the flow guage, but it's brand new and it is not caked with anything. I"m running my skimmer, could that be causing the problem? Any ideas on what to do or how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for the advice/help!

Scott Hammersley

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low Flow warning on Intex 2650 gph Saltwater System

Welcome to tfp, hammer_time

If running the skimmer reduces the flow significantly, then it could cause the 90 error. Try running it without the skimmer (I am assuming it is one of the over the rail skimmers?) and see if the swg is happy. If it is, compare the flow at the pool return in the two configurations to see if there is a difference.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Friend of mine had that problem, the over wall skimmer where the adapter screws to the wall had leaves and pine needles in it reducing the flow. After removing the adapter and using a water hose with a nozzle he was able to clear the screen.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the suggestions! Yes, it is the over the side skimmer - I will disconnect it (check all of the tubing, etc) and see if that helps. It's pouring down rain this morning in Oakley Michigan (boy do we need it!), so I'll have to get to it after I get back from work this evening.

Scott

5. Back To Top    #5

Bummer! Rain died down, went out and unhooked the skimmer (replaced it with the original inlet cover), but I am still getting the low flow warning. I did notice a change though - the pressure is now up to 10 (from 8). I guess I will try cleaning the flow measurement flap. I'm not the handiest guy in the world, so I am hesitant to go this route, but do I need to start taking apart the pump? any other ideas?

6. Back To Top    #6

Well I guess when all else fails, read the manual. Even though this was a brand new pool and filter system, I ended up taking the flow sensor out and cleaning it. There must have been just enough 'crud' on it (although I couldn't really feel any on it) but I washed it off thoroughly, and put it back in place. Backwashed the system, rinsed the filter, turned it back on and ... voila! It's now working just fine. Amazing. We really like the skimmer, so I'm going to let the filter run it's course tonight (set for 8 hours) and tomorrow morning the skimmer goes back on. And maybe I won't have to add more chlorine tomorrow. I think I'm shooting for about 1.2 ppm on the chlorine (it's a saltwater system), so we'll see how well the swg does on cranking out the chlorine.

Thanks for the help/listening,
    Scott

7. Back To Top    #7

Glad you got it solved. It doesn't take much to cause those flow sensors to get "sticky".
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

The problem i had was low flow error i looked at everything changed filters , cleand sensor, and still had the same problem ! Solution i found that and this is a new pool hair was getting by my skimmer, once the water leave the skimmer it goes thru the tub right when it leaves the pool there is another filter that i was not aware of it was clogged with hair ! so look at the tube on the inlet side there is a little filter that clogs often

9. Back To Top    #9

Once again, glad you got it solved (hopefully for good this time )

10. Back To Top    #10

Yep, gotta check your baskets often! Glad to hear its solved, now you know to keep an eye on that pump basket! (Last time I cleaned mine, it had a bunch of spider and ant parts in it. lol)
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing