Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand in the bottom of my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand in the bottom of my pool

I vacuum, I backwash. The next morning I have sand or silt on the bottom of the pool again. What do I need to be doing differently?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Sand in the bottom of my pool

Welcome to TFP!!!

Post up your pool details ... we have no idea what type of filter you have.

You can put a sock over the returns to see if the "sand" is getting through the filter. If not, then it could just be dust, dirt, pollen that is blown in new everyday.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Sand in the bottom of my pool

Welcome to TFP!

(Kind of a repeat of what jblizzle said, but some extra info.)

If you are sure it is sand, rather gritty when you touch it, and not algae, slimy when you touch it, and you have a sand filter then you probably have a damaged lateral inside the sand filter allowing sand to get out of the filter and into the returns. You can confirm that it is a filter problem by attached some panty hose to the return. If sand is trapped in the panty hose then there is certainly some problem with the filter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School