Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: a better ph test

1. Back To Top    #1

a better ph test

I have the tf100. I struggle to read to ph colors. Is there a drop base like the fc test. Where I count the drops?
    AG 15x30 4 ft deep 12000 gal.
    Aqua Star 100lbs Sand Filter model fs019
    Installed june 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: a better ph test

No. Within reasonable price ranges, the phenol red pH test is as good as it gets. You'll get better with practice.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Aloha Zeroturn!

Here's what you need to know...the key to easy interpretation of the pH color test is to get the proper ratio of test sample to drops (the directions don't always help you to reach this ratio). The COLOR (frequency--going from a neutral yellow-orange up to a bright magenta) of the sample is dependent upon the pH--the color will not vary if you add more or less water to it--only the SATURATION of that color will change. If your test sample is DARKER than the plastic comparator colors, simply add some water to your sample and see how much easier it is to find the right match. If your sample is too LIGHT, add one drop of the Phenol Red and see if it gets easier to compare.

As Dave said, time and experience will help you to figure this out...but it becomes really easy once you learn to get the right amount of drops. I often use a small sample (the amount doesn't really matter that much) and only one or two drops to get the right ratio. And I really don't even need the comparator any more...I can look from across the pool and tell if it is 7.4 or 7.6, as long as the SATURATION of the color is properly reached.

Hope this helps!

Aloha!
    Warren
    Big Island Pool Service

No pool of my own...but my customers' pools are ALL my foster babies!!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by BigIslandPoolService
    Aloha Zeroturn!

Here's what you need to know...the key to easy interpretation of the pH color test is to get the proper ratio of test sample to drops (the directions don't always help you to reach this ratio). The COLOR (frequency--going from a neutral yellow-orange up to a bright magenta) of the sample is dependent upon the pH--the color will not vary if you add more or less water to it--only the SATURATION of that color will change. If your test sample is DARKER than the plastic comparator colors, simply add some water to your sample and see how much easier it is to find the right match. If your sample is too LIGHT, add one drop of the Phenol Red and see if it gets easier to compare.

As Dave said, time and experience will help you to figure this out...but it becomes really easy once you learn to get the right amount of drops. I often use a small sample (the amount doesn't really matter that much) and only one or two drops to get the right ratio. And I really don't even need the comparator any more...I can look from across the pool and tell if it is 7.4 or 7.6, as long as the SATURATION of the color is properly reached.

Hope this helps!

Aloha!
    I would love to see a bunch of pictures showing the different saturation levels for different pH levels. Could be very informative.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

So do you guys not even use the vial that comes with the an OTO test?

I have two different OTO tests (in addition to my TF Kit). I noticed if I use the HTH brand I can easily read the colors unless they are in between.

Then I have another where you have to add chlorine neutralizer and that I have more problems using. It always reads higher or I am not sure what it is reading.

The tip about saturation though is helpful!
    18,000 Gallons 16x32 In Ground Vinyl
    Purex Triton TR-60 Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1-1/2 HP (P/N 340039)
    MiniMax Gas Heater * Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend
    Coverstar Automatic Cover * Built in 1993

6. Back To Top    #6

Instead of adding more water, just use fewer drops if the saturation is too dark relative to the comparator. That's what I do. Usually 3 or 4 drops matches better than 5 for the R-0004 used in the Taylor K-2006 which is what I most commonly use for the pH test (I use a mix of K-2006 and TF-100 tests, mostly for historical reasons).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

One more note people seem to obsess too much on exact pH number when the acceptable range is fairly wide, so you really don't need to know if your pH is 7.4 or 7.5, just that it is around there somewhere.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

The Taylor block and Phenol Red (can't remember R number) in full strength reads much better for me. What's nice about having both, is the OTO from the HTH kit has values that aren't on the Taylor block. If I'm in doubt, I go to the OTO. But I do prefer the Taylor block, I feel that the colors are more saturated using Taylor Phenol Red. I have an old block, from a Mastertech (or something - no longer in business) kit . It's probably an old Taylor DPD block (has chlorine) actually. That has an even wider range of pH than the current style Taylor block (no chlorine).
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.