Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner. How do I get started?

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner. How do I get started?

Hi,

This is my first experience with above ground pool
    I bought Intex 14' x 48" Ultra Frame Swimming Pool
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-14-x-48 ... l/19336117
    and Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater Filtration System
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Krystal ... gMethod=rr

I am going to install the pool in a few days.
    How do I get started adding chemicals? As far as I understand, all I need to do is to buy pool salt(have no idea how much) and put it into Saltwater filtration system.
    If I understood correctly,saltwater system will add necessary chemicals automatically and I do not need to add any chemicals in the pool directly.
    Please let me know if I am correct.I am totally confused.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner. How do I get started?

No, there will be chemicals to add, primarily to adjust the pH and the Stabilizer/CYA to maintain the chlorine that the system generates.

Check out ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry , Basic Pool Care Schedule and the rest of Pool School
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome.

You are only "slightly" confused You will still need to be adding chemicals. The SWG (saltwater chlorine generator) will only be adding the chlorine for you. You will still need to be adjusting the pH (likely with muriatic acid) and one of the first things you will need to add is stabilizer (CYA).

Before you set it up. Order one of the recommended test kits in my signature. And read Pool School a few times to start learning about the chemistry and maintenance.

Ask questions as they come up. On the plus side you found us before wasting a lot of money at a pool store fighting a green pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for your help. Does the 1,000 gallon filter pump that comes with the pool sufficient? I have read somewhere that included pump is too weak and it is recommended to buy stronger pump. I really don't want to spend any more $$ on the pump but will do if I have to.

Another question is how long do I have to run the pump for?

5. Back To Top    #5

I am not familiar with the various Intex pumps. But, if it is weak (most of them are), you may need to run the pump 24/7 to keep the pool clean.

There is a LOT of Intex info in the Above Ground Pools section of the forum.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!