alexts

Jun 28, 2012
Hi,

This is my first experience with above ground pool
I bought Intex 14' x 48" Ultra Frame Swimming Pool
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-14-x-48 ... l/19336117
and Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater Filtration System
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Krystal ... gMethod=rr

I am going to install the pool in a few days.
How do I get started adding chemicals? As far as I understand, all I need to do is to buy pool salt(have no idea how much) and put it into Saltwater filtration system.
If I understood correctly,saltwater system will add necessary chemicals automatically and I do not need to add any chemicals in the pool directly.
Please let me know if I am correct.I am totally confused.

Welcome.

You are only "slightly" confused ;) You will still need to be adding chemicals. The SWG (saltwater chlorine generator) will only be adding the chlorine for you. You will still need to be adjusting the pH (likely with muriatic acid) and one of the first things you will need to add is stabilizer (CYA).

Before you set it up. Order one of the recommended test kits in my signature. And read Pool School a few times to start learning about the chemistry and maintenance.

Ask questions as they come up. On the plus side you found us before wasting a lot of money at a pool store fighting a green pool.

Thank you for your help. Does the 1,000 gallon filter pump that comes with the pool sufficient? I have read somewhere that included pump is too weak and it is recommended to buy stronger pump. I really don't want to spend any more $$ on the pump but will do if I have to.

Another question is how long do I have to run the pump for?

I am not familiar with the various Intex pumps. But, if it is weak (most of them are), you may need to run the pump 24/7 to keep the pool clean.

There is a LOT of Intex info in the Above Ground Pools section of the forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.