Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What to do pool is filled

1. Back To Top    #1

What to do pool is filled

New to TFP Waiting for my test kit, should I add bleach now? 15,000 gallon AG sand filter excited about the bbb method and don't want to get behind. My teenage son will be helping me with the testing, he is taking chemistry on the fall so it will be perfect

Thank you
    15,000 gallon kd 16x33x42 AG. Sand filter TF 100 test kit
    BBB method

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What to do pool is filled

I would. I'd also start adding CYA, since you can be sure it is zero right now.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

If the pump is running, yes. You'll go through it quickly in the sun, so you need some source of CYA. Either add the CYA through the skimmer, in a sock, or by using trichlor or dichlor to chlorinate. I'd add enough chlorine to get to 10ppm, then let it fall until it gets down around 3ppm. Use poolcalculator.com to figure out what you need, but for 15,000 gallons, each gallon of 6% bleach will add 4ppm to your chlorine level.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

I know this is such a newbie ? Where do I purchase cya? What should it say exactly on the bottle?
    Home depot. Or pool store?

Thanks again
    15,000 gallon kd 16x33x42 AG. Sand filter TF 100 test kit
    BBB method

5. Back To Top    #5

CYA = cyanuric acid
    pool-school/recommended_pool_chemicals

Can be found at Walmart or pool stores ... not sure about the hardware stores.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I know Lowe's carries CYA....labeled as stabilizer.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

It may also be labeled as conditioner. The label will have a chemical breakdown, look to see that it is near 95% CYA
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100