How do I adjust this type auto filler?

Jul 2, 2012
Corona, Ca
I know the valve on the right adjusts how much water flows but I have no idea what I am supposed to do on the one on the left (assuming that is the one I adjust) for maintaining pool levels.
does anyone know what I need to do?

Attachments

• pool pump 2.jpg
    pool pump 2.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 68
  • pool pump 1.jpg
    pool pump 1.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 64
Did you post the correct picture as I do not see an auto-filler in this picture ... just the pad equipment. An auto-fill is located in the ground as the water level in it has to match the pool.

hmmm maybe thats why I cant figure it out:-O
I just added a new picture above the 2 black covers is a pipe with black (somewhat painted too) handle that one turns water on to fill the pool. So I assumed the one to the left was the adjuster to adjust levels.
Now im not sure what to look for

I think that must just be a manual valve to allow you to add water to the pool ... I do not think there is an "adjuster" for the level.

I am guessing the other thing you are seeing is a backflow valve. This prevents pool water from backing into the freshwater system and contaminating it.

Auto-fills are usually down in the ground in a hole like the skimmer.

oh gotcha. Ok thanks.
Wow I have no experience with pools bought a house hired a pool guy pool never looked worse so I fired him because I can make the pool ugly myself. So im on week 3 now myself and pool is well but phospate is still high. Anyways long story short I know nothing about it and am learning as I go but that pool guy told me he adjusted my autofiller awhile back so I have been trying to find it but it appears there isnt one. Who knows what he was doing then

Since you have taken over the pool, have you read Pool School a few times and invested in one of the recommended test kits?

Realize that the phosphate level does NOT matter if you maintain the correct FC level for your CYA level. This is just the latest buzz word that pool stores are using to sell you something.

So, the auto-fill. When you turn that valve, do you see water entering the pool? Where? That valve could be feeding the auto-fill float valve (some are the same as a toilet valve) somewhere near the pool. Mine has an on/off valve and backflow valve that feeds the float valve. Look around the pool and if you have one, there will be another cover similar to the skimmer cover. There will also be a hole in the pool wall where the water enters the pool (slowly). Do you see any holes that do not seem to be normal returns?

purehobby said:
...So im on week 3 now myself and pool is well but phospate is still high. ...

It sounds like you are still visiting the pool store for advice? I have noticed that if you visit the pool store for testing use pool store advice and visit the forums here and use the suggestions here to make your own decisions about which advice your going to follow, it will take several weeks to get a clean pool. Phosphates are not measured here because the chlorine kills the algae and phosphates are not an issue. Phospahtes are something the P$ measures because they have $tuff to empty your wallet.

I have experienced if I DO NOT go to the P$ for anything, follow the advice in the Pool School and do it without deviation, I can have a clean and sparkly pool in less than a week with a DE filter, and about a week with any other filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The valve I showed in the picture does turn on water that much I know however I see no float or second cap like the skimmer anywhere around. The water comes out about 5 feet from the skimmer but if I follow from that valve that turns water on in the pool to where it comes out there is nothing inbetween to lead me to believe there is anything to adjust except that cap to the left of the black valve in the picture.
As for the pool school I have not read it but I will start reading it. As for the pool store the only thing they sold me on which im guessing the chlorine is going to do anyways. Is some phospate killer. ( yeah I think they got me on that one) but im learning. Pool guy was a quack for sure he tried selling me on every product under the sun and asked me to pick up shock bags for him to put in my pool. My guess is he was trying to be a pool guy but not really there yet.

Nothing I hear you saying sounds like you have an auto-fill.

Focus on learning the chemistry and getting your test kit. And open the valve as you need to fill the pool up.

I used to believe all pool guys were quacks but they have a different priority when maintaining a pool, outside of money and billable services. They are looking for an answer that has to last 7 days without care. When you are doing the BBB method you learn in PoolSchool, you learn you need to measure the levels daily and make decisions and take action for that day. Tomorrow, you will make another decision based on testing and take the needed actions.

The Pool tech cannot do this, he (or she) must test and make a decision that needs to last seven days. When he returns in 7 days, he will determine the consequences of his actions and make another decision. He cannot return tomorrow night to test again.

The pool$tore is somewhere in the middle but with less practical knowledge in most cases. They may be focused on getting YOU to make a decision to BUY what they recommend to last until the next time you come into the store.... or to make recommendations that encourage you to return in a few days with more water and another opportunity for your to make another buying action.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.