Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question on Muriatic Acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Question on Muriatic Acid

I have never used it. I need to lower my PH from 7.8. The pool calc calls for 13 oz of dry acid or 28 oz of 10 Baume Muriatic acid. I found MA online at lowes (unknown what concentration) the label say its good as a PH reducer in pools, I reviewer said that its not good for pools becasuse it is stabilized MA.

Any thought or comments on using stabilized or unstabilized MA.

24 X 52Ěround, Vinyl AGP, 150 lb Sand 1.5 hp filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: Question on Muriatic Acid

Quote Originally Posted by BobW0295
    I reviewer said that its not good for pools becasuse it is stabilized MA.
    No idea what this means. I get 31.45% MA from Menard's in the paint section for $5/gal. Muriatic acid and dry acid both do the same thing. Dry acid is just harder on your wallet.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by BobW0295
    stabilized or unstabilized MA.
    Maybe someone posted their pool store knowledge

I've never heard of anyone talk about different kinds of MA other than the eco-friendly stuff that you DO NOT want to use in your pool. Menards seems to have better prices than Lowe's if you have one nearby. Plenty of people buy their MA at Home Depot. Your best bet is to find 31.45%.

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski
    in the paint section
    That's where I get mine too.
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

4. Back To Top    #4
    Lakeland, FL

In the south they have it in 2 gallon boxes usually outside. 31.5% stuff. (At least Home Depot) its about $11.50.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

From the lowes web site:
    ""1-Gallon Safer Muriatic Acid
    Etches concrete
    Brightens concrete & masonry
    Lowers pH in swimming pools
    Removes excess mortar from bricks""

I re read the review, the reviewer was concerned because the lable says not to mix with chlorine. Duh!
    Anyway they didnt have any, I just picked up enough dry stuff from the pool store to make the adjustment I needed. I wil shop around now so I have it if needed again.
    24 X 52Ěround, Vinyl AGP, 150 lb Sand 1.5 hp filter

6. Back To Top    #6
    Twin Cities, MN

The msds for the safer stuff lists it's concentration at < that is not real helpful. Just use the 31.45% stuff that is available at most home centers and hardware stores, since it is typically the cheapest in addition to being the most concentrated.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Tucson, AZ

Safer seems to equate to weaker ... but costs the same? ! ? !

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Lynchburg VA

My Lowe's carries both the Safer brand of MA and the regular strength MA. I am sure it is targeted for homeowners that need to use MA but are not comfortable using it. Just grab the correct bottle!
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

9. Back To Top    #9
    Antelope, CA

HD carries the SwimKem version and a brown box 32%. They were priced within a dollar of each other for 2 gallons. They were stocked in the garden area (outside) at my store.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100