Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump housing with air in it

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump housing with air in it

I just installed a brand new Hayward 244t sand filter with 300lbs of sand. I have Jandy HP plus 1-1/2hp pump. With my old Jandy sand filter I would have to bleed the air out all of the time. Every time I would vacuum the pool, the pump would lose prime as soon as I closed the valves(with the pump off) to draw from just the one skimmer . I have a main drain and 2 skimmers. It would take 5 minutes to bleed the air out and get the air bubbles out.

My question is . . . . since there is no air relief valve on the 244t, how do you get rid of the air?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have yet to run the system since I'm afraid to start it up without knowing how to bleed the air out.
    2004 - 36'x18' 26000 Gallons - IG-vinyl, Hayward 244t sand filter=300lbs, Jandy HP plus 1-1/2hp pump, Jandy LX-400L heater, Jandy AquaPure1400 Chlorine Generator (salt), Polaris 480 robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump housing with air in it

Welcome to TFP.

Don't worry about bleeding the air out. As with most top mounted valve filters, it's self bleeding. Any air that gets in the filter is going to go right out the return piping.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Okay thanks! I also have trouble priming the pump. When I open the basket lid and try filling it with a garden hose nothing happens. It seems that the water just goes into the pool and the basket never fills up. Any thoughts?
    2004 - 36'x18' 26000 Gallons - IG-vinyl, Hayward 244t sand filter=300lbs, Jandy HP plus 1-1/2hp pump, Jandy LX-400L heater, Jandy AquaPure1400 Chlorine Generator (salt), Polaris 480 robot

4. Back To Top    #4

That's normal. If you have a suction valve you can close it and then fill the basket up with water and close the basket lid and THEN open the valve and start the pump. If you don't have a valve you can just run some water in the basket and close the lid.

We may can provide you more suggestions if you can post a pic of your equipment pad.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the info! Turns out the lid seal was cracked and was leaking air the whole time. Now it primes in a minute flat.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm glad that you found it and it was an easy fix.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator