Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Shocking / Algae Removal Process - SHOCK DONE....NOW WHAT?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Howard City, MI
    Posts
    54

    Shocking / Algae Removal Process - SHOCK DONE....NOW WHAT?

    I discovered algae on pool floor yesterday and began the shock process last night. Per the Pool Calculator, my FC shock target for mustard algae was 22. I added the required bleach of 288 oz last night. This morning my FC is at 15.

    I plugged the current FC of 15 into the pool calculator and put the target in of 22. Therefore, I still need to add 94 oz of bleach to get my target. Is this correct?

    Once I reach my FC target of 22, then this needs to remain for 24 hours?
    Above-Ground Pro Series 18'x48" Metal Frame - Approx 6,450 gallons
    Skimmer Filter System (cartridge): SFS1000 w/ F1500C Pump: 120watts/2.0amps/1500g.p.h
    Purchased & Installed: 6/7/12 (week of)

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad JohnT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW Indiana
    Posts
    9,086

    Re: Shocking / Algae Removal Process

    The important think about treating algae is to maintain the chlorine at shock level continuously until you get very little drop overnight and the algae is all dead. Mustard algae tends to grow on the shaded wall of the pool, so wouldn't likely be found on the bottom.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: Shocking / Algae Removal Process

    Yes, keep adding bleach to get it to 22. Every couple hours if need be.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Howard City, MI
    Posts
    54

    Re: Shocking / Algae Removal Process

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    The important think about treating algae is to maintain the chlorine at shock level continuously until you get very little drop overnight and the algae is all dead. Mustard algae tends to grow on the shaded wall of the pool, so wouldn't likely be found on the bottom.
    So if its not mustard algae, is it just regular algae? And do I still need to treat to FC of 22
    Above-Ground Pro Series 18'x48" Metal Frame - Approx 6,450 gallons
    Skimmer Filter System (cartridge): SFS1000 w/ F1500C Pump: 120watts/2.0amps/1500g.p.h
    Purchased & Installed: 6/7/12 (week of)

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad JohnT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW Indiana
    Posts
    9,086

    Re: Shocking / Algae Removal Process

    Quote Originally Posted by Terrjam
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    The important think about treating algae is to maintain the chlorine at shock level continuously until you get very little drop overnight and the algae is all dead. Mustard algae tends to grow on the shaded wall of the pool, so wouldn't likely be found on the bottom.
    So if its not mustard algae, is it just regular algae? And do I still need to treat to FC of 22
    What is your CYA level?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Howard City, MI
    Posts
    54

    Re: Shocking / Algae Removal Process

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrjam
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    The important think about treating algae is to maintain the chlorine at shock level continuously until you get very little drop overnight and the algae is all dead. Mustard algae tends to grow on the shaded wall of the pool, so wouldn't likely be found on the bottom.
    So if its not mustard algae, is it just regular algae? And do I still need to treat to FC of 22
    What is your CYA level?

    Yesterday my levels were as follows:
    FC = 2.5
    pH = 7.5
    TA = 110
    CYA = 35-40

    That is when I noticed the orangish yellowish film on the bottom around edges and the "asterik shaped" matter in pool. I assumed it was algae and began the shock treatment. I have not tested the CYA today and think I only have enough left for one more test.
    Above-Ground Pro Series 18'x48" Metal Frame - Approx 6,450 gallons
    Skimmer Filter System (cartridge): SFS1000 w/ F1500C Pump: 120watts/2.0amps/1500g.p.h
    Purchased & Installed: 6/7/12 (week of)

  7. Back To Top    #7
    frogabog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,578

    Re: Shocking / Algae Removal Process

    To answer one of your specific questions, holding at shock level for 24 hours is not what is recommended, but rather hold at shock level till you pass the three criteria:

    1 - .5ppm or less CC
    2 - <1ppm FC loss overnight (OCLT)
    3 - water is clear

    24 hours is rarely enough time for maintaining shock level. Disregard 24 hours. Some pools need to be at shock level for a week or two to get through this with sparkling clean algae free water. We just don't know how long it will take. Having a FAS-DPD test kit on hand and using it to maintain shock level sure will speed it up though.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Howard City, MI
    Posts
    54

    Re: Shocking / Algae Removal Process

    Quote Originally Posted by frogabog
    To answer one of your specific questions, holding at shock level for 24 hours is not what is recommended, but rather hold at shock level till you pass the three criteria:

    1 - .5ppm or less CC
    2 - <1ppm FC loss overnight (OCLT)
    3 - water is clear

    24 hours is rarely enough time for maintaining shock level. Disregard 24 hours. Some pools need to be at shock level for a week or two to get through this with sparkling clean algae free water. We just don't know how long it will take. Having a FAS-DPD test kit on hand and using it to maintain shock level sure will speed it up though.
    First of all, frogabog, I love the little saying in your signature block!! Very cute!!

    Please forgive me for my ignorance as I try to get this all. Before shock treatment last night, FC was 2.5. When I noticed orangish film on bottom, I shocked for target FC of 22 for mustard algae. This a.m. my FC was 15 so added as required by pool calc to raise tad more.

    Criteria to meet before stopping shock:
    1. .5 currently CC
    2. I don't understand the <1ppm FC loss overnight
    . My FC obviously went up so this meets the #2 criteria, correct?
    3. Water clearer than it was.

    My FC is currently 12
    Above-Ground Pro Series 18'x48" Metal Frame - Approx 6,450 gallons
    Skimmer Filter System (cartridge): SFS1000 w/ F1500C Pump: 120watts/2.0amps/1500g.p.h
    Purchased & Installed: 6/7/12 (week of)

  9. Back To Top    #9
    frogabog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,578

    Re: Shocking / Algae Removal Process

    You lost 7ppm overnight. So no, FC did not go up. Keep shocking.

    In pool school, read about the OCLT. You'll test FC after dark and after adding enough to reach shock level. Then, before any sun hits the pool the next morning you test again. If you lose more than 1ppm overnight, continue shocking.

    For CYA level of 40, shock level is 13ppm. Go add bleach now! (it's ok to add a little extra, so that you don't fall below shock level between testings)
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Howard City, MI
    Posts
    54

    Re: Shocking / Algae Removal Process

    Quote Originally Posted by frogabog
    You lost 7ppm overnight. So no, FC did not go up. Keep shocking.

    In pool school, read about the OCLT. You'll test FC after dark and after adding enough to reach shock level. Then, before any sun hits the pool the next morning you test again. If you lose more than 1ppm overnight, continue shocking.

    For CYA level of 40, shock level is 13ppm. Go add bleach now! (it's ok to add a little extra, so that you don't fall below shock level between testings)

    I'm confused. If my FC was 2.5 last night before shock. Then shocked to try and reach FC target of 22. This a.m. FC was 15 (at 3:30 p.m. was 12). Therefore, didn't my FC go UP by 12.5 overnight?
    Above-Ground Pro Series 18'x48" Metal Frame - Approx 6,450 gallons
    Skimmer Filter System (cartridge): SFS1000 w/ F1500C Pump: 120watts/2.0amps/1500g.p.h
    Purchased & Installed: 6/7/12 (week of)

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Howard City, MI
    Posts
    54

    Re: Shocking / Algae Removal Process

    Do I need to be testing any of my other levels (pH, CYA, TA) during this whole process or only the FC? Am I still aiming for the mustard algae shock level the pool calc gave me last night of 22? So I need to retest FC tonight and add needed bleach to reach 22, correct? Does my pump still need to run all night?
    Above-Ground Pro Series 18'x48" Metal Frame - Approx 6,450 gallons
    Skimmer Filter System (cartridge): SFS1000 w/ F1500C Pump: 120watts/2.0amps/1500g.p.h
    Purchased & Installed: 6/7/12 (week of)

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seacoast, NH
    Posts
    248

    Re: Shocking / Algae Removal Process

    When they refer to FC going down, they mean without any intervention. So, you measure the overnight loss starting after dark and after you have added any chlorine.

    During shocking, you only need to test FC and CC.
    19,000 gallons, Well Water
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seacoast, NH
    Posts
    248

    Re: Shocking / Algae Removal Process

    You want the FC to be, at a minimum, 13. So shoot for something higher than that (maybe 15) so that as it drifts down, it doesn't go below 13.
    19,000 gallons, Well Water
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

  14. Back To Top    #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Howard City, MI
    Posts
    54

    Re: Shocking / Algae Removal Process......AT WITS END :(

    I just did my FC test for the OCLT tonight. My FC is 26.5 and the CC is 1. I am in tears and ready to give up. When I vacuumed tonight there was still some orangish yellow film on the outer edge of the floor (shady areas only). I have had the filter running since last night. It was almost 100 degrees here today and my kids couldn't go in the pool because I was shocking and now I don't know if they will be able to go in tomorrow.

    Now what do I do? I obviously am not adding any more bleach, but can I shut my pump off for tonight and tomorrow I will be gone. I am so frustrated and don't know what to do.
    Above-Ground Pro Series 18'x48" Metal Frame - Approx 6,450 gallons
    Skimmer Filter System (cartridge): SFS1000 w/ F1500C Pump: 120watts/2.0amps/1500g.p.h
    Purchased & Installed: 6/7/12 (week of)

  15. Back To Top    #15
    frogabog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,578

    Re: Shocking / Algae Removal Process

    Shutting the pump off will not help, keep it on, and make sure to clean the cartridge regularly while this is going on.

    No OCLT tonight, sorry. I know it's frustrating, but this is the hard part that many have had to get past, and succeeded.

    If you haven't been running the filter full time, that very well could be part of the longevity of your shocking. Don't turn it off until you're at normal levels, having passed all three criteria.

    Tomorrow when you're gone, dose the pool up to mustard shock level for the day. It won't hurt the pool, and will allow you some room to not be there to maintain shock level. Check and re-dose when you get home. It's the best you can do, unless you have someone who will come and test/dose for you.

    Most often once a pool owner's POP is about gone when they're doing everything we say... the corner turns. Just hang in there.

    Got a picture you can show us of the water?
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

  16. Back To Top    #16

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Howard City, MI
    Posts
    54

    Re: Shocking / Algae Removal Process

    It is storming really bad here w/ thunder and lightning so I haven't been able to go out and check my levels at all this morning. Makes me a little nervous to have pump running with storm.

    Water actually isn't bad looking, it's clear but just not "sparkly". I can get picture when storm subsides and post.

    Will water be cloudy with mustard algae? Yesterday I pulled filter out to clean and it was really orangish, is that a result of the algae?
    Above-Ground Pro Series 18'x48" Metal Frame - Approx 6,450 gallons
    Skimmer Filter System (cartridge): SFS1000 w/ F1500C Pump: 120watts/2.0amps/1500g.p.h
    Purchased & Installed: 6/7/12 (week of)

  17. Back To Top    #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Howard City, MI
    Posts
    54

    Re: Shocking / Algae Removal Process....DAY 3 & OCLT RESULTS

    Just checked my levels after OCLT.

    Last Night @ Dark:
    FC = 26.5
    CC = 1

    This a.m.:
    FC = 20.5
    CC = .5
    Above-Ground Pro Series 18'x48" Metal Frame - Approx 6,450 gallons
    Skimmer Filter System (cartridge): SFS1000 w/ F1500C Pump: 120watts/2.0amps/1500g.p.h
    Purchased & Installed: 6/7/12 (week of)

  18. Back To Top    #18

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bedford, NH
    Posts
    67

    Re: Shocking / Algae Removal Process....DAY 3 & OCLT RESULTS

    Quote Originally Posted by Terrjam
    Just checked my levels after OCLT.

    Last Night @ Dark:
    FC = 26.5
    CC = 1

    This a.m.:
    FC = 20.5
    CC = .5
    Your FC is still eating some organic matter (the algae) overnight (6ppm worth), so keep shocking. I'm in your boat...and my kids haven't swam yet this year. But the methodologies they preach here work, so stick with it. It's frustrating for sure, but worth it when they can finally get in.
    18' round above ground, vinyl liner, 48" deep (flat), Confer Step1 steps. Approximately 7600 gallons. Waterways/Proline FC075 cartridge filter. 75GPM (71 minute complete cycle), 75 sq ft filtration area.

  19. Back To Top    #19

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Howard City, MI
    Posts
    54

    Re: Shocking / Algae Removal Process....DAY 3 & OCLT RESULTS

    Quote Originally Posted by rjproulx
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrjam
    Just checked my levels after OCLT.

    Last Night @ Dark:
    FC = 26.5
    CC = 1

    This a.m.:
    FC = 20.5
    CC = .5
    Your FC is still eating some organic matter (the algae) overnight (6ppm worth), so keep shocking. I'm in your boat...and my kids haven't swam yet this year. But the methodologies they preach here work, so stick with it. It's frustrating for sure, but worth it when they can finally get in.

    Thanks for the encouragement. So what FC shock level am I aiming for and plugging into the pool calc? Not sure how much bleach I need to add now?
    Above-Ground Pro Series 18'x48" Metal Frame - Approx 6,450 gallons
    Skimmer Filter System (cartridge): SFS1000 w/ F1500C Pump: 120watts/2.0amps/1500g.p.h
    Purchased & Installed: 6/7/12 (week of)

  20. Back To Top    #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bedford, NH
    Posts
    67

    Re: Shocking / Algae Removal Process....DAY 3 & OCLT RESULTS

    Quote Originally Posted by Terrjam

    Thanks for the encouragement. So what FC shock level am I aiming for and plugging into the pool calc? Not sure how much bleach I need to add now?
    Assuming your CYA isn't changing (and it won't unless you add more or remove water), your target shock level is still 13 (from reading up above). If your FC right now is 20.5, then you don't need to add anything. Just keep the pump running day and night.

    If there is still algae being killed in your water, that'll likely drop down throughout the day, so test again right now or later this afternoon and if it's south of 13, bring it back up to 13 or more.
    18' round above ground, vinyl liner, 48" deep (flat), Confer Step1 steps. Approximately 7600 gallons. Waterways/Proline FC075 cartridge filter. 75GPM (71 minute complete cycle), 75 sq ft filtration area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •