2012 - Most Annoying Pool Season EVER!

May 26, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
The good news:

I have a pool, and it's clear.

Arms are getting a nice workout from dumping copious amounts of chlorine in weekly.

The bad news:

I have a pool ;)

Battling a CC of either 1 or .5 ALL summer so far. ( resolved that since pool gets non-stop sun that this is just the way it is this year)

It's been "Africa hot" all summer, and pool stays in the 90's (not refreshing)

Wish I had a 500 gallon liquid chlorine tank with a spicket.

Losing 2-3 inches of water a day sometimes due to African heatwave.

Okay sorry, just had a to vent a little :) But seriously, so frustrating. Anyone else with me?

P.S. - Is there anything "stronger" than 12.5% chlorine I can start using? I would love to be able to add 1 gallon of something to shock the pool instead of bottle after bottle.

aa62579 said:
Are you sure you don't have a leak somewhere? 2-3" per day seems excessive. Have you done the bucket test?
If there was a leak, just wondering if that could be contributing to your CC level as well...

Not 100% sure, but it's a plaster pool and I see no defects etc..Plus the grass around the pool is all dead from the heat and lack of water. If I had a leak somewhere I bet I'd see a difference in grass in that area. Just speculating tho.

Not sure if bucket test would work since water in a bucket will evaporate in this heat too. Going to try it this weekend tho.

Poolio317 said:
aa62579 said:
Are you sure you don't have a leak somewhere? 2-3" per day seems excessive. Have you done the bucket test?
If there was a leak, just wondering if that could be contributing to your CC level as well...

Not sure if bucket test would work since water in a bucket will evaporate in this heat too. Going to try it this weekend tho.

Yes, that is how the bucket tests works. It will show you how much water you should be losing due to evaporation. If your pool is losing more than that with no one in it, you have a leak somewhere.

If the leak were at the bottom of the pool, like at a drain, I don't know that it would effect the grass in any way.

aa62579 said:
Poolio317 said:
aa62579 said:

Yes, that is how the bucket tests works. It will show you how much water you should be losing due to evaporation. If your pool is losing more than that with no one in it, you have a leak somewhere.

If the leak were at the bottom of the pool, like at a drain, I don't know that it would effect the grass in any way.

Ok, sounds good. I'll report back with the results this weekend :)

Thanks!

Poolio317 said:
Battling a CC of either 1 or .5 ALL summer so far. ( resolved that since pool gets non-stop sun that this is just the way it is this year)
Shouldn't be. Any readings you get that take only one drop of the R-0871 which would indicate a CC <0.5 can be ignored. i.e. if it takes 1 drops to clear don't worry about it. If it takes two drops to clear, (and there weren't swimmers just in the pool) then the shocking process should be done.

If you are using much more than 1 gallon of 12.5%/day for your 25000 gallon pool (and not doing the shocking process)...most likely something is going on. Post a set of test results and we can help from there.

And I agree with aa6 that the 2-3 seems excessive...I would do the bucket test.

I am in the very corner of Northwest IN, Munster, to be exact and we are also in a drought and I have been losing a 1/2' to an inch a day......I did see on the news that we are supposed to get a slight relief into the high 80's low 90's after today.........not much rain in sight though....This time last year we only had 9 days of above 90 degrees, this year we are already at 30.......This is the first year we had our pool, but yes, we have been going through alot of bleach because of the heat and our pool gets used every single day.....my hubby says I look like Kate Hudson on one side and Dolly Parton on the other side from all the bleach I am adding...........hahahahaha

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Poolio317 said:
The good news:

I have a pool, and it's clear.

Arms are getting a nice workout from dumping copious amounts of chlorine in weekly.

The bad news:

I have a pool ;)

It's been "Africa hot" all summer, and pool stays in the 90's (not refreshing)

Wish I had a 500 gallon liquid chlorine tank with a spicket.

Losing 2-3 inches of water a day sometimes due to African heatwave.

Okay sorry, just had a to vent a little :) But seriously, so frustrating. Anyone else with me?

P.S. - Is there anything "stronger" than 12.5% chlorine I can start using? I would love to be able to add 1 gallon of something to shock the pool instead of bottle after bottle.

I use a stenner pump with a 15 gallon tank. I only need to fill my chlorine with 9 jugs from costco once every two to three weeks. It can actually hold 10.5, but the boxes come 3 jugs to a box. The stenner pump was $300 and was totally worth it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.