Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quick paver question

1. Back To Top    #1

Quick paver question

I'm getting ready to install my Intex 18', but with all I'm reading, I don't even think I should bother putting it up this year by the time it arrives. It's scheduled to be delivered by 7/25, and being in NY, I'm not sure if I should rush it this year.

Anyway, all this reading about leveling and possibly using a sod cutter, leaves me with a question regarding the pavers. If I use a sod cutter to level the ground and clear the grass, do I still need to put pavers under the legs? If so, should the pavers be sunk into the ground so that they are level with the rest of the ground surface? Seems odd to me to level the ground, and then put the legs on pavers that might be 2" above the ground.

Bare with me as I'm a total n00b. I'm trying to do this right so I don't end up with a busted pool.
    Intex Ultra Frame 18'x48"
    Intex 14-Inch Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump
    Intex Intex Krystal Clear Salt System (not yet installed)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quick paver question

You dig a bit more to place the pavers, when you are done the leveled ground must be flush with the paver's top surface.
    Donīt be fooled by the sheep on my bike, I swim with fish in my sound equipped pool.

3. Back To Top    #3

Any you do want to use the pavers to give the leg a bigger footprint and prevent it from sinking in to the ground.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you are going to put up the pool for 4-6 weeks of use, I would use pieces of wood instead of the pavers. The pavers are nice but are not needed. A small thin piece of wood will stop the leg from sinking. You will spend almost as much time messing with the pavers as you will leveling and setting up the pool, and then you will probably change it all next year. When you fill it with water you will see if it is unlevel and fix it next season.

6. Back To Top    #6

OK thanks for the tip. How do you know exactly where to place the pavers/wood? I assume as the pool fills, the legs will kick out?

7. Back To Top    #7

Assemble the tubes that form the circle (making sure you have as true a circle as possible), place it on the ground, mark the places of the support tubes adding maybe an inch outwards from that.
    Donīt be fooled by the sheep on my bike, I swim with fish in my sound equipped pool.

8. Back To Top    #8

If you use thin pieces of wood you don't have to worry about placement. Just set up the pool and then put the wood under the legs. I used 7"-7" 1/4" plywood. I don't have the plywood under the pool liner. The leg sits almost on the edge of the plywood. There is not that much force on the poles. The foot of the pole is made of plastic.