Alkalinity 80
    Shocked it
    Back washed it well
    Rannfilter 24 hours
    Still cloudy
    Uggghh!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New, cloudy water not Fl

What is your CYA, and what shock level did you use?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for getting back to me, I used 3 bags hth free and clear. I don't have cya test kit yet.
    Pool is almost 20,000 gal, it is 18x28 and 3 ft to 8 ft
    Free chlorine is dark dark deep hot pink almost red on leslys test kit

Ph now 7.4
    Alkalinity is now 100
    Shocked last night and continued to run hayward 3620 de filter that was back washed last night , pump is 1.5
    Pressure gauge is 19.75
    It is usually 19.75 after backwash and fresh de.
    I back wash it usually at 25 psi

4. Back To Top    #4

[shock:2sz8jkhg]Shocking the pool is a process, not something you add and are done with. The correct amount of chlorine to use is also heavily dependent on your CYA level.[/shock:2sz8jkhg]
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

There is no bad chlorine, only good free chlorine, there isn't usually any bad chlorine, I test it every day with the Leslie's kit that test free, total, combined ( formula)
    Alcalinity, ph, it more than 6 or bottles of chem for testing.
    The chlorine was still deep pink to red this morning . It is clearer, saw some stuff on the bottom of the pool that looked like ash as if burned newspaper were on the bottom. The pool is unfortunatly under my neighbors sick tree and it drops leaves, the other neighbor trees over grown pine trees drop needles too

6. Back To Top    #6

You really need a good test kit.

You also need to spend some time in Pool School.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

+1 to what Bama said.

Your CYA is likely high if you are using pucks in a chlorinator and have been throwing "magic powder" into the pool. High CYA required higher chlorine levels ... well above what your kit will test. Review the info in Pool School.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

I just found the site and I have been reading the pool school sections. Thank you for your help. I am going to buy the cya test kit and I'll let you know the results. I understand it can take days to get it back, checking the FC and keeping the level to the shock range. If it is sun block or cream from the swimmers, what link would have that information?

9. Back To Top    #9

The key to a good test kit is the FAS-DPD chlorine test which will test FC and CC. You also need to be able to test pH, TA, CH, and CYA.

Since your pool is just a little cloudy, and you have a DE filter, the shock process should not take too long (maybe a week). How often are you cleaning the filter? You should be backwashing when the pressure goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure.

The solution to sun block / cream is the same ... the shock process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!