Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump rebuild- Hayward Super Pump & Max Flo

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Pump rebuild- Hayward Super Pump & Max Flo

I have two pumps that run, (were given to me) but don't seem to suck or pull water through. There is no suction side leak because I had tested them with a direct line running into my pool. Both motors run fine, but again just no suction. They have new lids and orings on the strainer baskets.

Both are Hayward pumps.

One is a Super Pump 1 HP and the other is a Max Flow 3/4 HP.

Q- what seal or seals would make these not work.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump rebuild- Hayward Super Pump & Max Flo

So you just put a short pipe from the pool to the pump and then back again?

I am wondering if you actually have too little head loss and that is causing the problem.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

The suction line is about 12 feet... 6 feet to the pool then down about 6 feet into the water.

But getting suction leak and its not the lid and I believe the impeller is free.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Also the plug is good and sealed.

LAST both pumps were left outside for two years in New England- not connected to anything.
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

what plumbing is on the return side?

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Just a short maybe 3 ft line on the return side.

I guess what would be the best way to test a pump for suction if it is disconnected from the pool. ??
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Is the impeller intact and turning?

Keep the return line vertical, fill it with water (from a garden hose) and see if the pump can push it out.
    Donīt be fooled by the sheep on my bike, I swim with fish in my sound equipped pool.