A few electrical questions from a nOOb

Jun 3, 2012
Louisville, KY
A few questions:

First is in the title - I've bought a new pump/filter/SWG (details in the sig), and I'm not sure if I should be calling a pool company or an electrician to install the pump/SWG electric.

Second - From what I understand, they both require 230V, and I have no idea if the current set-up is 230 or not. The old pump is so old and sun-faded/rusted that you can't read the label. It currently has a sub-panel about 10 feet away from the main panel with two 20A breakers. That's about the extent of my electrical knowledge.

Third - The pool needed everything new. I've purchased a new pump, filter, SWG, PVC plumbing, and fittings. Am I missing anything needed to get this pool up and running? I'm planning to get someone to install the electrical, and I'm going to connect all the PVC from there.

Thanks in advance for the help! :cheers:

that should mean that each leg is a separate 120 volt circuit.

BUT ...

The previous owner of my house had the 240 volt service to my pool subpanel fed with 2 separate breakers incorrectly.

What color are the wires going to the pump motor?

Is it on a timer? How is that wired?

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

A word to the wise; I personally feel confident wiring my own branch circuits, such as this. But I happen to live in a city that prohibits any electrical work by non-electricians. Add to this the sensitivity of outdoor and pool related wiring and electrical codes, it would be a great idea to consult a professional on this.

No you don't need a timer ... just thought it would be easier to see the wires in the timer than having to take the back off the pump motor.

Describe everything you can as far as how the wires run. Or better yet, post pictures if you still need help.

thegame9377 said:
It does not have a timer. Is that a problem? I planned on just keeping the pump on low speed 24/7 and manually flipping to high speed for vacuum/backwash/etc
Not a problem at all. That's exactly the strategy I use! Some people say 24/7 is overkill, but I like the look of an overkill pool! lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.