Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installing the liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Installing the liner

Tomorrow we will be installing the liner to our new pool. Its a used pool but brand new liner. My question is, do I need to open it up and let it sit in the sun tomorrow to warm up so that its easier to work with? My father in law advised me to do this but I'm wanting to make sure he is correct. Thanks for your help.
    21 foot by 4 foot AGP, Jacuzzi Laser 192 sand filter, Hayward 1 HP pump, approx. 9100 gallons, install 7/15-7/17/2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Installing the liner

yes, a warm liner is more pliable and easier to work with. The warmth will also help the liner to stretch properly as the pool is filled.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks zea3. I have been reading about it online...really nervous about cutting the liner for the skimmer and water return lol
    21 foot by 4 foot AGP, Jacuzzi Laser 192 sand filter, Hayward 1 HP pump, approx. 9100 gallons, install 7/15-7/17/2012

4. Back To Top    #4

Yup for sun and yup for skimmer cutting stress, make sure the water is filled near the skimmer and then cut, I was stressed as well but it's not that bad.
    Good luck!
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

5. Back To Top    #5

Depends what you call warm. A liner that is really hot is almost too pliable to be easy to work with. At this time of year I would think it would be plenty stretchy with just a small amount of time in the sun. If the pool is in the sun while you are installing it you should be fine, it will warm while you are juggling it. The tips on waiting to cut are a must. What size and shape is the pool? What kind of liner? (beaded, overlap...etc)
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

6. Back To Top    #6

21 foot round, 48 inches deep. overlap liner

7. Back To Top    #7

As for cutting you skimmer hole. I installed skimmer completely before cutting the liner by following the edge of the inside of the faceplate.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Pretty sure I did the same as techguy.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

9. Back To Top    #9

Round is easier than oval but that's pretty big. Keep us posted.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

10. Back To Top    #10

Liner is in with about 4 inches of water so far. Liner went a lot more smoothly then we expected![attachment=0:9ctaq7i0]071712172504 (480x640).jpg[/attachment:9ctaq7i0]
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Back To Top    #11

we also cut the skimmer and return holes after we had them installed. we let our liner sit out in the sun for a few minutes, but it had been sitting in our garage for a couple days and the temp was over a 100!
    Morada AGP 24 foot, 52 inch deep
    DE filter, 2hp pump, inline chlorinator
    Set up on July 1st, 2012
    Goal is to use the BBB method!
    VERY new to the pool scene!
    Love the Pool School, still learning so much!
    Thank you in advance for your advice and help!

12. Back To Top    #12

Looking like you will be wet this weekend. You might add a cup of bleach or so if you have not finished installing the liner and installing the pump and filter.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

Hi SadieBailey,
    Don't forget the other most important Snap-On tool, your TF-100 test kit from here:
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html
    Test you fill water first, then we can tell you what you need.
    For sure you need powered Stabilizer/Conditioner/CYA, (get from Walmart or Home Depot)
    Lots of bleach, buy 8 gals to start, (I got some liquid chlorine locally in 10%, 2) 2.5 gal carboys)
    Get 1 gallon of muriatic acid to adjust pH and TA if it's too high.
    Maybe 2 boxes of Borax if the pH is really low!

That will get you up and running for lots of fun before summer ends.

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.