Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Problem with Pool pilot Nano

1. Back To Top    #1

Problem with Pool pilot Nano

I just installed my Nano SWG 11 months ago. All of a sudden it has stopped producing chlorine. I will show test results below. Called Pool Pilot and they told me to call a local dealer. Dealer came and tested water and everything was good. He he put a old generator in place of mine to fool the nano that it was running. He then put my generator in a bucket with salt water with the power applied. It looked liked it was producing chlorine. He waited 5 minutes and tested the water. When he put the regent in it started to turn red however when he mixed it - it went clear. He then scratched his head and did it 2 more times with the same results. I concluded that it was not producing chlorine however he wanted to talk to his boss and call Pool Pilot. Thoughts anyone??
    15000 gallons vinyl pool
    Cl 2.0
    PH 7.4
    ALK 130 (need to lower)
    cya 60
    Phosphates 0
    Cal Hardness 130
    Water is clear
    Temp 85

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Problem with Pool pilot Nano

Welcome to TFP!

Why do you think that the unit is not producing chlorine? Is some error message displayed on the control unit? Or is it simply that FC went to zero in your pool?

The test the technician did is consistent with the cell working just fine, though it isn't conclusive. It is very easy for FC to go to zero in the pool, even when the SWG is working perfectly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

When I put in a couple of chlorine pucks it goes to 2.0. When I remove the pucks with swg set at 100 % it goes to 0. Fyi the salt level is 3400

4. Back To Top    #4

How are you testing?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Ben's drop test plus the pool guy that did the testing confirmed my results.

6. Back To Top    #6

Where did you drop the pucks and were did you do the drop test? I'm sorry, drop test, as with test reagents in a test block or directly into the pool?
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

7. Back To Top    #7

I put the pucks in the skimmer. Sample water came from the deep end of pool the length of my arm. My chlorine drop test was done in my kitchen with 10ml of pool water - add R-0870 dpd powder - mix - then add r-0871 one drop at a time till red goes to clear. The pool dealer tested the water from the bucket with my generator in it. It went red - he shook it - then it went clear. Pool dealer is now saying that the salt generator is working fine because when this (goes red - swirl it - then clear) means it is super chlorinated. I am still scratching my head because with the generator running at 100 % the chlorine goes to 0. When I put a couple pucks in it - the next morning it is at 1.5-3.0

8. Back To Top    #8

Have you had any algae blooms or treated for algae lately?

After you test for 1.5 - 3.0 ppm, does it maintain that level until the pucks are dissolved or a few days after?
    I would agree that it's so high that it's bleaching out the test reagent, but it doesn't make sense that you're not able to maintain a good residual in the pool.
    I would say that with the temperatures that we're experiencing, it doesn't take long for algae to grow if there's not enough chlorine.
    I would recommend increasing the cyanuric acid to 75 - 80 ppm.

9. Back To Top    #9

I too am having problems with Pool Pilot Digital Nano 15 mos old worked fine till 3 wks ago called autopilot they had me check chem everything ok their reccomended service agents came out tested water also said chems are alright, they did the bucket test with the cell and stated its producing chlorine and no problem however they placed a chlorine tablet in skimmer (3" tab) on friday system ran all weekend no rain or adverse issues semi cloudy all weekend system at 49% 10 hrs dialy monday morning chlorine at 1.
    Called Autopilot back they reffered me to check Nitrates have done so nitrates at 10, Salt 3100,CH,230,CYA,50,PH 7.6,Phosphates 0TA, 80????? Am really at loss I'm glad I'm not only one with problem now I can call and ask about issue system only 15 mos old
    ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED

10. Back To Top    #10

yakee, run a TEST on the Nano and let me know what the display is showing. Any warning messages?
    How many gallons is your pool?

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Indianawisky View Post
    I just installed my Nano SWG 11 months ago. All of a sudden it has stopped producing chlorine. I will show test results below. Called Pool Pilot and they told me to call a local dealer. Dealer came and tested water and everything was good. He he put a old generator in place of mine to fool the nano that it was running. He then put my generator in a bucket with salt water with the power applied. It looked liked it was producing chlorine. He waited 5 minutes and tested the water. When he put the regent in it started to turn red however when he mixed it - it went clear. He then scratched his head and did it 2 more times with the same results. I concluded that it was not producing chlorine however he wanted to talk to his boss and call Pool Pilot. Thoughts anyone??
    15000 gallons vinyl pool
    Cl 2.0
    PH 7.4
    ALK 130 (need to lower)
    cya 60
    Phosphates 0
    Cal Hardness 130
    Water is clear
    Temp 85
    I know this is an old post, but just came across the same problem. So this is what I discovered. That way all you need to fix the problem next time is a piece of Emery cloth.My Nano unit was displaying "Low Voltage", 2 volts, and I thought of all the expensive fixes first. Cell, Cable and etc. The problem turn out to be in the connection at the "RC28" Cell from the Display Unit. The Male/Female connector will allow moisture in and therefore corrode the male connectors.
    The female connector faces up and the male connector down, so moisture gets in. All I did was separate the connections at the Cell and used the Emery cloth to remove the corrosion from the prongs. Reconnect, and the unit has been working ever since, and reading 17 volts. Lot cheaper than spending $300 to replace the Cell.

12. Back To Top    #12

Good info to know........thanks!
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

The female connector faces up and the male connector down, so moisture gets in.
    If I am understanding correctly it sounds like your cell is installed upside down which will lead to the damage that you're reporting at the cell cord connection. The male silver prongs on the outside of the cell should be facing up towards the sky so the cable pushes down on top of them towards the ground creating a rain barrier.
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

14. Back To Top    #14

I have this problem currently​.. trying to figure out if it's the cord, the cell or both.. cell is about 5 years old.. it runs 2 volts if I disconnect it, it will usually start producing 16 volts..