LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2011
Northern Maryland (near Delaware)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok, I had to use pucks for 8 days while on vacation.

Observations

Pool is clear
Little squares when light is on, I think this is filler
Burning Eyes
Smell, Seems the pucks have an awful smell, my daughter asked what smells like paint. I am back on BBB, but has any one else noticed a smell after going back to pucks for a short time? How long will it take to go away. I know it is the pucks because when I opened the chlorinator it was the same eye watering irritant that wafted in the air. I open it and run. There are remnants of pucks and a little water in there, I was going to run it out and go back to BBB, I am talking crumbs. Should I fill with a hose to dilute?

Thanks

Pucks make my water smell bad and leave a black ring in the skimmer. Distasteful to say the least. Oh, and the pH plummets.

I'd rinse the feeder, why not?

The stink shouldn't last too long. Putting some bleach in should sweeten it up.

Have you tested your CC in addition to your FC? It's my understanding the CC in the pool can smell. It may not be showing algae but you may need to shock to get rid of the CCs and the bad smell.

FC was 7, CC was 0, PH around 7.2, that is what I remember. Yesterday the smell has subsided a little, pucks are pretty much gone, just little wafers at this time, maybe 2 of them like 3/16 thick. probably be gone today. I switched back to 12.5% 2 days back.

Before I knew better I tossed two pucks into my chlorinator - I had the thing dialed pretty low and it took forever for this to finally go away. The entire time people complained about the Bleach Smell near the steps where the returns are that come from the chlorinator - I didn't put the two together until nearly the end of the pucks.

As for rinsing? You shouldn't need to do so - it is bathed in water as long as you have it turned up from OFF. The crumbs will dissolve eventually and this will no longer be an issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.