Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dead Frogs -- High pH -- Any relationship?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dead Frogs -- High pH -- Any relationship?

I am not sure if this is the right part of the forum, but here is my question. We had a serious rainstorm yesterday (a good 2 inches of rain) and we had a LOT of frogs in our skimmers. There were big ones, small ones, medium ones, dead ones and live ones. I cleared out a good 15 dead frogs and another 7 or 8 living ones. Our pH was quite a bit higher this morning than the day before (around 7.6). Today, after an extremely hot and humid day, our pH was around 8.0. Otherwise, the pool looks great. Would all of the frogs raise pH? I thought rain tended to be acidic, but our pool is going in the opposite direction. And why would my pH jump during the day if it didn't rain?

At 5:30 am FC was 2.5, so I added 2.5 FC via chlorox. At 8:30 pm, our FC was 3.0. TA is around 110. CYA is in the 20-30 range.
    33,000 gallon plaster pool
    Jandy L-Series -CL580 Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dead Frogs -- High pH -- Any relationship?

There have been reports of rain raising the pH due to the aeration caused by the drops hitting the water. With your TA as high as it is, it doesn't surprise me that your pH rose during a rainstorm.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Dead Frogs -- High pH -- Any relationship?

Thanks. I didn't think 110 was that high for TA.

What I still don't get is why the pH climbed during the day yesterday, when it was hot, humid and sunny, but with no rain.
    33,000 gallon plaster pool
    Jandy L-Series -CL580 Cartridge Filter