Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No pump for 5 days - turning green on day 3

1. Back To Top    #1

Montreal, Qc

No pump for 5 days - turning green on day 3

The pool pump failed on Friday afternoon and we had this extremely busy weekend (painting the house with friends). I ordered the replacement on Monday and I should get it in about 2 days.
    We had 3 days of 85+ degrees and the pool is turning green - slight visible algae at spots. I'm raising (and keeping) FC to shock level and plan to brush a lot to keep the water moving and chlorine "working". Is it feasible manaully? Any similar experience? Advice? Encouragement?

24k gallons, 16x32 ig vinyl. Jacuzzi 1.5 HP Magnum with Hayward sand filter. Newly added homemade solar heater with electronic controler. Switched to BBB June 2010. Adding borates...

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: No pump for 5 days - turning green on day 3

That's about all you can do. Unless you have a sump pump you can drop in and then just loop the hose back to the pool to circulate things. I wouldn't buy one, since the bleach to clear the green will cost less than a pump, but if you already have one....
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

I've kept our pool up during week long power outages by adding bleach and brushing to mix it in. It is a lot of work. Trying to shock that way is possible but you better be feeling fit! It will be less work to let the algae grow and then kill it off after the pump is working again, though it will end up costing a little more.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    DFW, Texas

You probably have your new pump by now. But if something like this ever happens again...

Here's what one user did to keep their pool clear and sanitized for one week without power and temperatures near or above 100F:
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.