Help - confusion reigns!

Well, no real progress overnight. Seems to me I'm going backwards; although mathematically I'm still having about a 20% drop overnight.

Thursday night the FC was 20 and dropped to 16 Friday morning (.20 loss). Too close to shock level.

Last night at 9:15pm the FC was 31 and dropped overnight to 25 at 6:30am (.19 loss). Progress?? Scrubbed the walls again this morning. Going to clean the filter today!

The saga continues........

One other question, I bought a Baracuda MX8 and it said not to use when applying chemicals. I haven't had it running in a week. OK to use or not OK? Thanks!

Jim

There must be something hiding somewhere. Jim, is it easy to remove your light?

This pool was completely drained and sat dry in the sun for a few days before swim season. Before filling the pool, it was sprayed and scrubbed with straight bleach twice, due to an algae bloom the year before.

I got lazy over the weekend with keeping up on this thread because I had to pick 400 lbs. of grapes on Friday and crush and de-stem them on Saturday, but I was diligent on adding Chlorine and testing levels. Everything is still the same. Add jug after jug of Clorox only to have it totally dissipate in an afternoon.

The last I told you, I had an overnight drop of 6 ppm on Saturday morning. I didn't test for an overnight drop on Sunday but I still kept up the parade of jugs. (Hmmmm, odd play on words!)

Last night, the FC was 18 and this morning it was 16, only a 2ppm drop. Maybe progress. I'm hoping it will be better tomorrow morning.

Now for the next question, "If and when I get this straightened out, will the Liquidator be able to dole out enough chlorine to keep my level at a 4?" If not, this has all been for naught.

Robbie, I don't know how to remove the lamp or the collar around it.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Jim

I'm confused about your statement that if the liquidator can't keep up all of this is for naught. Why do you say that? Most of us here add chlorine daily, manually. There are options for when we can't be around to add chlorine. Offspring/spouses, neighbors, etc. For vacations, trichlor (pucks) can be used when CYA has a little room to move. Or, you could invest in a SWG even. I have absolutely no experience with the liquidator so I can't begin to answer if it will work, but even if it isn't going to work... are none of the other manual options available for you?

Additionally, going from 6ppm loss overnight to 2ppm is an excellent sign. You should give yourself a pat on the back for doing so great and plan for even better results over the next few days.

Frogabog,

I was told that the Liquidator would handle adding the chlorine in my pool without any additional equipment for two weeks if I went on vacation.

Obviously, that statement is not true for a pool in the South and in the sun all day. I have no problem with using the Liquidator and a chlorine floater, if needed. I shall soon see how much additional care is needed, daily.

I hope you are right about things getting better.

Jim

jimsam said:
Frogabog,

I was told that the Liquidator would handle adding the chlorine in my pool without any additional equipment for two weeks if I went on vacation.

Obviously, that statement is not true for a pool in the South and in the sun all day. I have no problem with using the Liquidator and a chlorine floater, if needed. I shall soon see how much additional care is needed, daily.

I hope you are right about things getting better.

Jim

You have a Liquidator already?

Yes, I have a Liquidator and I was having a hard time keeping the chlorine level above 2. The flow indicator had a crack and was sucking air so I was having a hard time adjusting the valve to get a consistent rate. I got a replacement part just as I started to have some algae form on the steps. That's what started this whole process.

I have the liquidator valve completely closed while adding chlorine directly to the pool. I figured once I had this licked, I'd be able to open the valve 1/2 way and go from there. With the chlorine I'm going through, I'm beginning to believe that the valve will need to be open all the way in order to maintain a proper level. Only time will tell.

Thanks!

Jim

My shock process took me a solid week and about 35 182oz gallons of bleach for my 14K gallon pool. I ran the pump almost 24/7. I was off work for several days, and I checked and added bleach many times throughout the day.

On another note, if you can't keep eyes on the FC levels while you're at work, wouldn't it be a good idea to have the liquidator on during the day?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
His LQ wasn't keeping up because there is/was something in the pool consuming FC. Once that has been cleared, the LQ will easily keep up Jim. My pool is 4x the volume of yours and it worked just fine. Start with the flow indicator showing "3". That should be a decent place to start.

To be clear to everyone, a LQ is like a SWCG, in that if there are organics in the pool, it's not going to keep up.

Jim has valuable plants around his pool and does not want to risk killing them with salt water splash-out. I donated my LQ to him for the price of $0. It should serve him well once the organics are gone. I did recommend SWCG. :)

To answer some questions. I left the liquidator off because I was adding chlorine by the gallon and I didn't feel I needed it; especially considering I was trying to get an idea of how much chlorine was needed to maintain the right level and the liquidator would have mess up the calculations.

Also, because I was unable to monitor the FC closely, I decided that if I kept the FC level way over shock level then I would be OK. In the morning, the FC level was in the high 30's and by the time I come home, it's around 18-20. According to another thread, the shock level for my pool should be 16.

Last night I tested before bed and the FC level was 28. This morning, the FC Level was 27. The first time there is light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully tonight and tomorrow morning's test will be as good or better.

If the level doesn't drop, I will go one extra day for good luck and then start using the liquidator and maintain a reasonable FC level. My fingers are crossed.

Thanks again!

Jim

Phipsi1237,

Thanks. All along the CC has been 0 and the water has been clear. Just waiting for the overnight test to pass. Hopefully I'm getting close. I never imagined the ordeal this would be, but I've learned a lot and that makes it all worth it.

I just took the FC and it's 25. CC=0. I had to add fresh water today due to evaporation so I'm hoping this doesn't set it back. Fingers and toes crossed!

Jim

Keep fighting the good fight.

I just went through the shock process in my pool and I thought I would never win.
It took a week and 88 gallons of 10% liquid chlorinator to beat it. I'm still fighting it a little bit with CC = 1ppm.

Make sure you take out the light fixture and any step/railings.
That's where my algae was hiding, inside the tubing of the step/railings.

Also in the screw holes niches in the light cover. Once I found that algae my CC went from 2ppm down to 1ppm over night.

Good Luck and make sure you have enough chlorine on hand.

I wish I would've known I would need almost a 100 gallons! I was back and forth for a week straight to the store.

jimsam said:
Last night I tested before bed and the FC level was 28. This morning, the FC Level was 27. The first time there is light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully tonight and tomorrow morning's test will be as good or better.

If the level doesn't drop, I will go one extra day for good luck and then start using the liquidator and maintain a reasonable FC level. My fingers are crossed.

Jim - Congrats! You passed!

phipsi1237 said:
Remember all 3 criteria before you quit.

1. CC is 0.5 or lower; :goodjob:
2. An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less; :goodjob:
3. And the water is clear. :goodjob:

Assuming the Algae you saw was green and not brown and didn't puff out like dust when you brushed it - then you're done. If it was brownish yellow and puffed like dust and clung to the walls in the spots that have the least sun on them - then you might have Mustard Algae in which case you need to raise the levels up to that level and keep them there for 24 hours. You'll need to remove the pool light and scrub behind it, toss all pool toys and tools into the pool and let them marinate at least 1 hour or more. More info on this is found here.

Yesterday's and today's update.

The FC level was 26 when I tested it before bed time and it was 24 this morning. Unfortunate news as the night previous two nights I had a 1 ppm loss. I'm continuing to pound the pool with chlorine and, as of today, I have used 48 1-1/2 gallon jugs of bleach on a 10,000 to 11,000 gallon pool. That may seem right to some but that's unbelievable to this neophyte.

I have no ladders, toys, floats, etc. to remove, just a pool. I have no clue how to remove the chrome ring around the light so I'm sure that's where the algae is hiding. One would think after 12 days of the pool being well over (sometimes double) the shock level, even there would be dead.

Thanks again to all.

Jim

jimsam said:
Yesterday's and today's update.

The FC level was 26 when I tested it before bed time and it was 24 this morning. Unfortunate news as the night previous two nights I had a 1 ppm loss. I'm continuing to pound the pool with chlorine and, as of today, I have used 48 1-1/2 gallon jugs of bleach on a 10,000 to 11,000 gallon pool. That may seem right to some but that's unbelievable to this neophyte.

I have no ladders, toys, floats, etc. to remove, just a pool. I have no clue how to remove the chrome ring around the light so I'm sure that's where the algae is hiding. One would think after 12 days of the pool being well over (sometimes double) the shock level, even there would be dead.

Thanks again to all.

Jim

I feel like I'm in the same boat as you....but I'm only four days into dumping bleach into my pool....

I have to go away this weekend....leaving friday night, returning sunday night....

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.... even if I bring FC level to 37 based on CYA of 65, by the time I get back on Sunday night, my FC level will probably be zero again....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.