What Should my CYA be when exposed to extreme sunlight?

Jul 16, 2012
Hi everyone -I'm draining my pool today and will be trying out the BBB method when it is refilled. I understand that this method is sensitive to FC in respects to CYA. I live in Las Vegas and my pool is uncovered and exposed to the sun the entire day. What should my target CYA be in these conditions? I read somewhere that my CYA should be above 50, even up to 70...

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!
I'd shoot for the low side at first, and see how much chlorine you end up using each day. Once you're comfortable with how everything works, you could bump it up a little bit and use less chlorine. The flip-side is that it makes shocking more difficult and expensive if you need to do it!

I had to go to the pool store before my test kit came. Guy number 2 said for our area and extreme sun/heat this year (we are breaking records left & right) for Western PA he had to bump his up to 60 which that's the highest he said he has ever taken his but felt with the sun and extreme temps predicted it would balance as he topped off ~ he's been topping off more this year than he ever has and I know he's the same pool guy my Grandparents used when I was 10 (I'm 43 now :rant: ) ~ so he's been at it awhile...

I am trying mine at 50 ~ first year for ours so I am just getting the feel for this since being a child helping my Grandparents.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.