Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What Should my CYA be when exposed to extreme sunlight?

1. Back To Top    #1

What Should my CYA be when exposed to extreme sunlight?

Hi everyone -I'm draining my pool today and will be trying out the BBB method when it is refilled. I understand that this method is sensitive to FC in respects to CYA. I live in Las Vegas and my pool is uncovered and exposed to the sun the entire day. What should my target CYA be in these conditions? I read somewhere that my CYA should be above 50, even up to 70...

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What Should my CYA be when exposed to extreme sunlight?

Welcome to TFP!
    I'd shoot for the low side at first, and see how much chlorine you end up using each day. Once you're comfortable with how everything works, you could bump it up a little bit and use less chlorine. The flip-side is that it makes shocking more difficult and expensive if you need to do it!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick response! Still pretty new to all of this and am weary of all the jugs of bleach I will be buying but I'm excited!

4. Back To Top    #4

I am in VA but my pool get direct sun all day and I have raised my CYA to 55 and it seems to be doing just fine.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

I had to go to the pool store before my test kit came. Guy number 2 said for our area and extreme sun/heat this year (we are breaking records left & right) for Western PA he had to bump his up to 60 which that's the highest he said he has ever taken his but felt with the sun and extreme temps predicted it would balance as he topped off ~ he's been topping off more this year than he ever has and I know he's the same pool guy my Grandparents used when I was 10 (I'm 43 now ) ~ so he's been at it awhile...

I am trying mine at 50 ~ first year for ours so I am just getting the feel for this since being a child helping my Grandparents.
    AGP: 27' x 52" : 17,500 gallon
    300 lb. Sand Filter (75 gpm) / 1.5 hp pump
    Full Sun ~ All Day