Seeking advice on new pool build - plaster

Jul 14, 2012
We live near Dallas and are building our first pool. I am seeking advice on plaster type. Our PB has given us the option of choosing any interior plaster type. After researching and visiting various pools, we are very set on a quartz product. Our PB prefers Quartzscapes but I've read from various sources (many in this forum) that Diamond Brite is a superior product (some say because it's premixed, versus Quartzscapes which is mixed onsite. So, my first question is whether we should stick with his recommendation of the Quartzscapes or push for the Diamond Brite.

My second question is about Diamond Quartz which is also made by SGM (the maker of Diamond Brite). We recently saw and felt a neighbor's pool done with Diamond Quartz and were surprised at how smooth it felt in comparison to the Quartzscapes. Can anyone tell me the difference between the Diamond Brite/Quartzscapes and the Diamond Quartz product?

Also, does anyone have experience with the comparison of colors between QS and DB? We love the QS Midnight Blue...would that correspond exactly to the DB Midnight Blue?

Finally, on an unrelated topic, our PB has put just one light in our 91 foot perimeter/~450 sq. ft/16,000 gallon play pool. (Plan attached) Is this one light (in its current location) sufficient to light a pool of this size or should we have him add another one? Our pool is in the gunite stage. If we do need another one added, how difficult would it be at this point?

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!

[attachment=0:2973ehwz]Pool2012.jpg[/attachment:2973ehwz]

Attachments

• Pool2012.jpg
    Pool2012.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 161
If the gunite has already been applied it is difficult, though not impossible, to add a light. Any time before gunite is easy.

The appearance and texture of a quartz plaster both have a great deal to do with the skill of the plaster installer and little to do with the material supplier. Getting a smooth surface and good quartz exposure are both completely dependent on the craftsmen doing the work.

Thank you for the information!

We are confident in his skill in applying the plaster as he is really specific and "controlling" (for lack of a better word) about the application and follow-up care. He'll come out for the first 28 days to brush it as it cures because he wants to be sure it's done correctly.

So, assuming he is competent in the application process, Diamond Brite and QS are comparable, I guess...? That's good to know. He prefers the QS and feels it's the better product but I'd read so much about DB being superior that I thought maybe we should push him for that. (He's willing to do either.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.