Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: OCLT Test Question

1. Back To Top    #1

OCLT Test Question

When performing an overnight free chlorine loss test (OCLT) should I leave the pump running? Does running the pump have any effect on the results?
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: OCLT Test Question

I would leave it running. If you get poor mixing in the pool, some areas may not get a good dose of chlorine if you don't force the mixing.

It's possible leaving it run for awhile at night after dosing and the night test...then having it run for an hour before you test in the morning may work, assuming your pump does a good job of mixing your whole pool.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

You can have the pump running. If you have a SWCG, it needs to be turned off though.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay, thanks. I will shut off the SWCG and leave the pump running when doing the test.
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.