Replacing Hayward Colorlogic

Jul 19, 2007
Katy, TX
So long story short...our builder implied he was putting in a SAM in the pool. A little over a year later with less than 200 hrs on lights, we started losing colors. Called my crappy builder who told me to call pentair (and I did based on the brochure HE gave me for my lights). Pentair said too bad, past 1yr warranty. So life happened and we finally decided to fix the light (only had 3 colors working). My husband pulled light out and it is not a pentair SAM but rather a hayward colorlogic. Called pool store and was told they run almost $1000.00.

So ...what to do? I am beyond mad that we have less than 1000 hrs on this light when the pool store told me they last for A LONG TIME!!!! I am upset that in addition to all the other bs we have had to go through with this builder, we have to shell out all this $$$ for a new light.

What lights do ya'll have? We want a multi color light. Any suggestions? Anyone know where maybe we can get this light for less?

On a side note, although all my paperwork has just LED next to the light description, can I file a complaint with the BBB? I placed a call to builder and will prob. not hear back from him b/c that is how he rolls. But I am ticked b/c what if warranty was different with this light vs. the pentair? And this is just the straw ...although I said that the last time we had pool issues ;). Thanks!!

I looked a little and it appears the light was covered by a 1 year warranty. I would all them anyway to see if they have a recommendation and it is slightly possible there was a warranty extension or they may offer you a deal. You can also ask them about refurbished product. It looks like the bulbs are $470-600 from most online sources.

Called Hayward customer service who pushed me off to tech. support. Tech support was annoyed with my call and told me their warranty is 1 yr from date of purchase (or signing of pool build contract). I questioned light only working for a little over year and he basically told me they guarantee nothing - a thunderstorm could wipe out the lights. I asked about deals to which he advised he didn't handle those questions and to contact a local dealer. :/.

On a side note. Pool builder still not called me back. I called them again as I was also trying to get a good number to call hayward. The guy told me someone would call me back and that he did not have number b/c they ONLY handle pentair products. Uh, not if you put a colorlogic light in my pool ?????? UGH!

Just would like to echo my dissatisfaction with these lights as well - I put in 3 Colorlogics in my pool in 2005. I would say I also have < 1000 hours on them, and 2-3 have failed and the 3rd has water I can see in it so thats getting pulled too. The first one lasted about 5 years. You cannot replace the old version with the new version since they changed the light patterns, so I'm stuck replacing all 3 at over $500 each.

Hayward's response? Exact same as the poster got. Too bad. Not Serviceable, replace them. On Amazon these lights are 1 star all the same thing - they leak over time. Since its obviously a common problem Hayward could do the right thing and at least sell you new ones at a discount.

My response to Hayward - I will never buy another Hayward product of any kind. I have switched over lights to Pentair Intellibrites (with serviceable parts). I'm also replacing a filter and pump right now - both from Hayward to Pentair as well.

Hopefully sometime a Hayward rep will come across this post and understand the implications of not standing behind your products.

Reactions: alcor001
Being in the industry I can tell you a one year warranty is the standard unless you purchase three or more pieces of equipment and then some of them up the warranty to three years. 5 years is along time to have a product and then want something covered under warranty. They don't care about how many times you used it, you had it for X number of years. I know the OP's original message wasn't about getting it replaced under warranty.

I don't understand why people think a company needs to warrant their product longer than what they state in their manuals. You can call all you want but I can tell you these companies are sticking to their guns as they are tired of bending over backwards for customers. They have finally figured out that for every one person that calls and says they won't buy their product, three other people will.

And if anyone thinks that Pentair or any other pool equipment company is any better, good luck. I deal with them all on a daily basis and they are all the same as far as I can see. Unless it sates "lifetime warranty" you get what you get and don't expect any more than that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.