Appearance of some algae and soap like bubbles??

lka674

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2012
Williamson County, Texas
We've had about 6 days of rain and storms here....

Today's test results:

FC 2
TC appears to be 2 (but subjective and I won't have TF-100 kit till around Thurs. to be able to truly check CC's)
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 90
TH 400
CYA 60

We obviously need to add chlorine, but a couple of days ago my husband noticed some yellowish looking algae on our tanning ledge and around the skimmer that's down there too. As well, we've had some soap bubbly water where our spillway and waterfall hit the pool and it's been suggested to me that could be indicative of algae as well.

Is there a way for me to know what type it is so that I know how high to shock?

I plan to brush the pool today as well. The pool doesn't look all that bad surprisingly (after all the storms )....maybe just barely cloudy and I think anyone else not involved themselves with pool chemistry would say it looks great....but regardless there definitely is some algae on the ledge.

What to do?

Many thanks!

Shocking for mustard algae starts with standard shock levels. Shock normally as though not mustard algae and then after you pass all three criteria then you raise levels to Mustard Algae levels and keep it there 24 hours - all pool toys, tools, etc go in the pool for at least an hour during this process. Here are the details: Mustard Algae.

lka674 said:
LOL....GOTCHA! Getting ready to get after it.

Question, I remember reading somewhere on here that when shocking to kill algae it is best to bring the pH down to the 7.0-7.2 range first THEN shock. Is this accurate?
Yes, bleach works better at lower pH, and you won't be able to test and adjust it while the FC is high, it messes with the pH indicator.

And finally....two more quickies:

I will get the FAS-DPD kit on Thursday. Should I wait to start the mustard algae shocking process until I have that kit and just bring my FC up to where it should be normally but on the high end (I do have a DPD kit that will show me FC up to 10) and keep it there and then test with the FAS kit on Thursday to see where I really am and then bring it to shock level, OCLT test, pass, and then bring it to algae shock levels?

I have an Aquabot Turbo T4RC. When talking about putting everything that could have been used in the pool back into the pool for an hour at mustard algae shock level....does that include my robot? Reason I ask is because the manual specifically says not to have the robot in the water when adding chemicals or at shock levels b/c it could possibly damage parts. If I don't b/c of what the manual says, can the pool cleaner alone bring the algae back?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.