Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Corner cove under liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Corner cove under liner

When my pool was installed it appears one piece of the corner cove moved about a foot away from the wall. The whole thing is a foot away, not just one end. Its almost like it was left there by mistake. I called my PB and they are sending the installer back out. Should I mess with this? It is on a seam of the liner and I fear people will walk on it and wear it out simply because it is there. But, I dread the thought of draining my pool that much. I did not notice it until it was already full and I got in the pool.

Would you worry about this? I will try to get a pic of it today. The water is clear enough and you can see it.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Corner cove under liner

If it was an extra section and a piece of cove was still against the wall I might leave it alone. However, if there is no piece of cove against the wall I'd drfinitely fix it. No cove against the wall is asking for trouble.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Just speculation but seems unlikely that the cove would be that far from the wall without being noticed.....err.....umm, I have a friend, ya a friend, that part way thru filling up his pool came out in the morning and noticed something resembling one of the j-groove bars under the liner, I.....I mean my friend, had to drain the pool mostly dry, unhook one section of rails and liner and wiggle in an open spot and try to get at it to slowly pull it out.

Man, that sucked......or so my friend told me....

Either way, it needs to be removed if it was accidentally left their or fixed if the cove has seperated, the cove has to be seated properly. If it was accidentally left and is near the edge you'll have to drain 98% of the water, remove some of the liner and get someone in the opening to reach under the liner and slowly pull it out. Not really that big of a deal other than removing and refilling water, tell the guy you expect him to refill the water via a water service so your not waiting three days to fill on your dime.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by cramar
    Just speculation but seems unlikely that the cove would be that far from the wall without being noticed.....err.....umm, I have a friend, ya a friend, that part way thru filling up his pool came out in the morning and noticed something resembling one of the j-groove bars under the liner, I.....I mean my friend, had to drain the pool mostly dry, unhook one section of rails and liner and wiggle in an open spot and try to get at it to slowly pull it out.

Man, that sucked......or so my friend told me....

Either way, it needs to be removed if it was accidentally left their or fixed if the cove has seperated, the cove has to be seated properly. If it was accidentally left and is near the edge you'll have to drain 98% of the water, remove some of the liner and get someone in the opening to reach under the liner and slowly pull it out. Not really that big of a deal other than removing and refilling water, tell the guy you expect him to refill the water via a water service so your not waiting three days to fill on your dime.
    lol. I wonder who this friend might be. Pretty close friend for sure.

The PB seems to think its a big deal as well so it looks like we might be refilling. I am going to have them bring a couple of temp pools and salvage as much water as they can.
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB

5. Back To Top    #5

This is very highly Lilly pb error have him take care of refilling the pool he can pay to have it hauled or he can set up temp pools to hold
    Don't waste your money on his error
    24' 52" Above Ground
    BBB
    LOVE TFP
    TF Test kits, Pool School, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh I won't. I am more afraid he is going to have to dig out around the pool again since it is buried in order to drain it.

7. Back To Top    #7

I am going to guess, the PB should be able to drain the water, remove the top seat of about 3 sections, peel back the liner, reach down and grab the cove piece and re-seat the liner, and replace the tops and fill it back up. No damage, just lots of little tasks/steps with significant waiting time.

I had a rock I had to fish out like this when I put a new liner in this year.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

That is if I can get them to call me back now. lol

9. Back To Top    #9

Pool guy called me back. He said it must be fixed. Looks like I am about to be without a pool for a few days. Waiting to see what his plan of action is going to be.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Glock
    Pool guy called me back. He said it must be fixed. Looks like I am about to be without a pool for a few days. Waiting to see what his plan of action is going to be.
    Good, they are stepping up to fix it. It will suck to be without it but at least if will be done right
    24 Ft Sharkline Matrix , ~15,200 Gallons
    Pentair SD60 w/ 2 speed 1.5 HP Dynamo pump
    Taylor K-2006 --- BBB

11. Back To Top    #11

Agreed. They are going to fix another issue I just found. Doughboy pools have the vacuum port under the skimmer. When I hook mine up it sucks in enough air from somewhere that it runs the pump dry. But no water leaks. When in skimmer mode it runs just fine. Not sure what is up with that.