Can I still use this pump?

Jul 2, 2012
Hi all, I am hoping someone can help me out here. I recently bought a house with a pool (my first time as a pool owner), and I quickly discovered (with the help of TFP) that my pump had a leak. I ordered replacement parts for a shaft seal and opened up the pump to see if I could replace it.

When I opened the pump I first noticed what looks like a lot of corrosion (please see first attached picture). Also, when I opened the pump, the impeller came right out (no need to unscrew), and it looked like the seal had been broken. The seal plate looks like it either has some melted plastic, or parts of the seal still attached to it (see attached pictures, one of the front of the seal plate, one of the back).

Like I mentioned, I am a noob at pools, and I am wondering if this equipment is still useable, or if I need to either replace some of the parts, or the whole pump itself? Has anyone had similar experiences?

P.S. I had posted similar questions in the "Just Getting Started" forum, but then thought this is probably the appropriate place.

Thanks in advance!

I guess I would want a new pump. The worst time to figure out this pump is unreliable is once you get the pool looking good and then it will fail and you'll be green again. Based on the rust in the background and the amount of corrosion I see, I would not trust this pump much.

I think spending a little $$ on a new pump would be dollars ahead of fixing this one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.