Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The aftermath

1. Back To Top    #1

The aftermath

My wife's cousin and her family have been in SoCal visiting Disneyland, Universal Studios, Seaworld, and who knows what else. Yesterday they came over to the house for a barbeque and swim party. So did all the in-laws. 6 kids, 10 adults. The cousin's husband didn't say a whole lot, but he did comment that "your pool looks really nice." None of the kids had red eyes, despite 5 hours in the water.

Let's survey the damage:
    • Living room full of empties and debris
      Dining room table covered with debris
      Family Room full of debris, floor covered with crushed tortilla chips
      Kitchen counters still covered with dishes, stacks of paper plates, sink full of dirties, dishwasher full of just washed dishes
      Patio looks like everything else, plus a drying rack full of towels. 2 squirtguns broken, one boat missing, probably in a planter somewhere. Goggles, pool noodles, beach ball, etc scattered all over
      Pool water is still crystal clear - no problem at all seeing the tiny pieces of broken squirt guns in the bottom of the deep end. No chlorine smell.

I have the pump running now to mix things up before I test. I expect to find everything in range, and only to need the bleach to get me through today.

The mess is no fun to clean up, but it was great having a bunch of people in the pool. I spend too much time brushing and vacuuming and testing it to not have it get used.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The aftermath

You da man!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Ahhh... humans. So unpredictable and out of control.

Good thing you got your pool to keep you grounded :~}

I'm curious why 8 adults walked out of your home leaving it that way actually, lol. Darn humans...
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by frogabog
    I'm curious why 8 adults walked out of your home leaving it that way actually, lol. Darn humans...
    That's funny - I was thinking the exact same thing!
    16'x32' -> 3' shallow, 8' deep ~22,000 gallon igp - Vinyl Liner.
    Sand Filter: Jacuzzi 225l-7 Sand Filter - 250lbs
    Pump: Hayward Max-Flo XL 1hp
    SWG: CircuPool RJ+ 60
    Water Source: Home Tap water (TA:230, CH:220)

5. Back To Top    #5

It is always great to have a big crowd, but cleanup can be a chore. We have had as many as five of the grandkids, plus adults, at any given time. Makes all of the work worthwhile though.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

6. Back To Top    #6

The mess had been much worse, we did get some help cleaning up before they all left. But it was late, and this family tends to drag out the goodbyes forever, and I was ready for bed!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

If only all problems in the home could be corrected with some gallons of bleach and the 'shocking process'. Glad you had a terrific party! At least you know where to relax when you get through the clean up!
    Vogue Vectra 30' Round (21,200 gallons), Waterway 2HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter - TF100 -- Southern IL - Install 06/2012
    Last minute upgrade from 27' due to error in dealer inventory *yikes*

8. Back To Top    #8

lol, it would be nice to be able to pour bleach down the chimney, turn the AC on and let it go like you can with a pool.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

9. Back To Top    #9

so in a nutshell the house looked like a tornado hit it, but the POOL was still pristine?....... gotta love a perfectly balanced BBB pool......excellent story Richard
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

10. Back To Top    #10

What about the 10 cans of 1/2 drank soda from the kids?