Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cyanuric Acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Cyanuric Acid

Let me start off by saying to "tfp", the info is so helpful to all of us so thank you very much !
    I am wanting my chlorine to last longer and heard about the acid ? Should i go with the "hth" brand when getting cyanuric acid or some other brand? Thank you in advance.

New pool owner so i don't know any of the logistics of my pool yet. working on it though

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cyanuric Acid

Welcome to TFP!

Cyanuric acid is pretty much the same regardless of who sells it. You do need to watch out for the rare versions that only contain 50% cyanuric acid. And the liquid form is more than twice as expensive as the solid. But other than that it is essentially all the same.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have current test results? What have you been using to add chlorine to your pool?

We just want to be sure that the CYA is your problem and not something else going on.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Do you have current test results? What have you been using to add chlorine to your pool?

We just want to be sure that the CYA is your problem and not something else going on.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    I agree. It would be a shame to add CYA if you already have plenty, as you can't adjust it in the other direction. Too much CYA creates a whole new set of problems. Chlorine is possibly getting used up by organics in the water.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

5. Back To Top    #5

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSES.
    I TEST EVERY 2-3 DAYS AND MY CHLORINE IS GOOD. I HAVE FOUND, UNLESS WE HAVE A SWIM PARTY, THAT A RED "SOLO" CUP FULL OF DICHLOR WHEN THE LEVELS GET LOW (NOT COMPLETELY GONE ) PUTS IT BACK INTO THE GOOD RANGE. I THINK THAT IS
    PROBABLY EVERY TIME I CHECK IT, I DO THAT. SO ADDING A CUP FULL EVERY 2-3 DAYS.

NOW I DO LIVE IN AZ, WHICH I'VE READ IS A KILLER ON THE CHLORINE. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF THAT OFTEN WAS NORMAL, CUZ THAT IS MY NORMAL AND WAS WONDERING IF IT SHOULD LAST LONGER ?
    WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE TAYLOR K 2005 ?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If you have been consistently using dichlor, you probably already have a boatload of CYA. Have you ever tested for it with your K-2005?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

<<Please do not use all caps. It is considered shouting.>>

The K-2005 test kit is incomplete for the test kits suggested on here. It does not contain the FAS-DPD chlorine test. You can order that individually from http://www.tftestkits.net. If you haven't already purchased it, the K-2006 or the TF-100 is a much better choice.

Since you have been using di-chlor, you already have stabilizer in your pool. You'll certainly want to figure out your CYA level before you add anymore.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

8. Back To Top    #8

We do not trust statements that are too subjective like ... "my chlorine is good"

I am glad I asked about what you use for chlorine as that dichlor likely has your CYA quite high already and more would only hurt you.

I suggest you read through Pool School a few times (button at upper right) and hopefully realize that your current pool maintenance procedure is NOT going to work for very long. You need to learn about your pool's chemistry and then take control ... adding the FAS-DPD test will certainly help that.

Now, post up a FULL set of test results using your K2005, so we can see what kind of shape you are really in. See this for more info on the tests:
    extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    We do not trust statements that are too subjective like ... "my chlorine is good"

I am glad I asked about what you use for chlorine as that dichlor likely has your CYA quite high already and more would only hurt you.

I suggest you read through Pool School a few times (button at upper right) and hopefully realize that your current pool maintenance procedure is NOT going to work for very long. You need to learn about your pool's chemistry and then take control ... adding the FAS-DPD test will certainly help that.

Now, post up a FULL set of test results using your K2005, so we can see what kind of shape you are really in. See this for more info on the tests:
    extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html
    I don't know what you do for a living, but I hope you don't deal with customers on how to maintain their pools ! You are very RUDE, and if you guys are worried about a guy typing in CAPS, but allow a fellow " contributor " to talk to people like this, I can take my ?'s somewhere else ! I appreciate advice, since it is obvious that I am no chemist ! But to be told, " WE DON"T TRUST STATEMENTS ", " NOW " " HOPEFULLY REALIZE ", " YOU NEED TO LEARN ", well isn't that obvious that I need to learn ??????????????????????? That's why I am here, isn't it ??? Mr. Lion, I hope you can understand where I am coming from, and to the others that weren't RUDE either, I apologize !!!!! But no-one that is trying to learn something, needs to be treated like this ?? That is why I thought this forum was created and for ???

If I could possibly get my ?'s answered when I get back to the rest of you, I sure would appreciate it !!!
    I don't have a K-2005, I have a DPD test kit from Leslies Pool Supply, but have taken into account the responses and am going to decide between the TF-100 or the K-2006. Thanks again for the responses and I will get back with you when I get a full realm of results.

PLEASE DON'T RESPOND AGAIN jblizzle to anything that I post in here, due to the fact I WOULD never take any of your advice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But it is a free country, so do as you please.

10. Back To Top    #10

Wow. Deal. Good luck.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

CANESTIME777 is banned from the forum and will not be reinstated. Topic is locked. Good manners are a requirement on this forum. CANESTIME777 apparently doesn't have any.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School